View Full Version : few newbie questions (synchronization, OneNote, Pocket PC in general)

Ricardo75
10-24-2007, 08:42 PM
Hello Everybody

My first post here :D
Recently I’m using old Tungsten C but time it comes to change I decided to change to Pocket PC.
I’m looking for a solid device with build in keyboard preferable in one piece without sliding parts etc, without stylus because of possibility of digitizer drift. Mainly will be used as a PIM, eBook reader, note taking device (OneNote Mobile), music player, and telephone and should serve me long. Wi-Fi, video playback, camera, GPS are not necessary.
I picked few devices to consider which are available in British mobile operators.
Palm Treo 500v
Samsung I600

or maybe

Palm Treo 750v
HTC S710

Could you give me some thoughts about mentioned devices are they will suit my needs in general? and answer on following questions please:
Is OneNote Mobile can be successfully used without stylus?
Does digitizer drift exist in Pocket PC world?
Are devices with sliding keyboards won’t be loose after let say one year of using it.
For example Treo 500v coming with trial of MS Outlook is that means after trial is finished I won’t be able to synchronize my device without buying full version? There is alternative way to synchronize my contacts?

Could you kindly spend a bit of time and give me some ideas please.

Thank you in advance

Ricardo75

Nurhisham Hussein
10-25-2007, 03:24 AM
I can't answer any of your other questions, but I've never even heard of digitizer drift!? What's that?

BTW, welcome to PPCT!

Ricardo75
10-25-2007, 05:45 AM
Digitizer drift is a fault when device recognize taps with stylus a bit to high o to low. In practice instead of selecting let say hours 10-11 in your agenda you selecting 11-12 or even 12-1.

Ricardo75

Nurhisham Hussein
10-25-2007, 06:03 AM
Thanks. From my (limited) experience, this isn't a common problem - it's certainly something I've never come across personally with the devices I've used or have access to. Good luck with your other queries!

applejosh
10-25-2007, 01:37 PM
Digitizer drift is very common on more recent Palm devices. (I guess it really became a problem with some T3's (mine always worked well), T5's and the TX's.) Most of the time people attribute it to the cheaper plastic digitizers now in use today . I don't know how accurate that it, though. My X51v seems to have selective drift on occasion, but not as bad as my TX is.

Ricardo75
10-25-2007, 07:57 PM
Thank you both for reply.

Can somebody else answer other of mine questions please.

Thanks

Ricardo75

Cybrid
10-29-2007, 07:31 PM
Is OneNote Mobile can be successfully used without stylus?While I don't know about one note, I should mention that on none touchscreen devices aka WM smartphones, functionality is far more limited. eg a word mobile viewer vs one that actually allows editing.
Does digitizer drift exist in Pocket PC world?Not in my experience. It does go out of whack but calibration always sets it and it'll stay calibrated for quite some time.
Are devices with sliding keyboards won’t be loose after let say one year of using it?Having owned only one slider device...I'd have to say it depends more on the user. mine is nearly two years old but still works decently. but then again I don't use the keyboard all that often.
For example Treo 500v coming with trial of MS Outlook is that means after trial is finished I won’t be able to synchronize my device without buying full version? There is alternative way to synchronize my contacts? Stay well away from those with only a trial. there are really no other sync options without money needing to be spent.
There are alternatives like Act! but for free, theres a few betas but none that really make headlines.

Mark Kenepp
10-29-2007, 08:37 PM
One thing that Cybrid did not mention is the possibility to synchronize with an Exchange Server.

I would say that there are only two ways to synchronize your contacts (or anything else) built into the Pocket PC (without purchasing third party software).

One is to synchronize with Outlook connected directly to the desktop computer.

The other is to synchronize through a valid network connection to an accessible Exchange Server.

If you are working in a corporate environment you may already have access to an Exchange Server. If so, it may be only a matter of getting the correct settings from the administrator.

Even if you do not presently have access to an Exchange Server, there are inexpensive (possibly free?) Hosted Exchange services out there that some members of this forum use.

Most likely, if you have access to an Exchange Server, you will already have Outlook so maybe it is a moot point to begin with.

Ricardo75
10-29-2007, 09:31 PM
Thank you Cybrid and Mark Kenepp for yours replies they are exactly what I was looking for

Ricardo 75