View Full Version : Missing wireless card or just an idiot user?

moggi1964
10-23-2007, 02:46 AM
I was given an IPAQ5455 by a friend and want to use it wirelessly.

I thought it had a built in wireless card but when I try to connect to my in home wireless it won't.

I have turned on the WLAN and then I click on internet and it says:

"unable to connect; you have no modem entries created and no network card present".

When I go into settings and connections and advanced and network cards it says:

Configure Wireless Networks:

Add New settings...

Then it shows my home network and says "connected".

But I am not!

I can only input a WEP key but I am running a WPA setup. I tried putting in that key but nothing changes.

I realise this is an old model but it's free and it will be helpful in my day to day so any advice you can give will be great.

The software is:

Microsoft Pocket PC Version 4.20.1081 (build 13100)

I hope this helps.

Thanks in advance,

Morris

Paul Martin
10-23-2007, 03:48 AM
Morris,

I don't think the 5455 can support WPA. Can you downgrade your security to WEP or even remove it temporarily to see if it works? I had a 5455 for a short while and the WiFi seemed pretty strong. Also, be sure you have the wireless radio turned on. You can turn it off to save battery, I believe, and that might indicate no network card. Just a couple of thoughts from a poor memory. :)

Paul

By the way...welcome to Pocket PC Thoughts!

Sven Johannsen
10-23-2007, 04:11 AM
I think Paul nailed it. That is old enough it probably doesn't support WPA. Even with just WEP, a WiFi device will show connected, but nothing will get through if the keys are wrong. It says the radio connected, that's all.

I'd kill the encryption just for a test, and then go from there. You need to decide if backing off to WEP is worth it to you.

moggi1964
10-23-2007, 04:27 AM
Thanks for the quick responses guys.

Turning down the security is not an option so it looks like it's not going to happen.

Is there any software I can update or an external WLAN card I can use that will allow me to connect to WPA?

One thing; when I turn the wireless on I get the orange light flashing on the left top of the set but no icon in the bottom corner. Will the icon only appear when the wireless is connected to a network?

I suppose I could take it to Atlanta Bread and see what it connects to there :)

Cybrid
10-23-2007, 07:58 AM
You could run two WiFi networks concurrently...

Jason Dunn
10-29-2007, 06:02 PM
Turning down the security is not an option so it looks like it's not going to happen.

This is a pretty common scenario: a Pocket PC is released, it's updated for a short while, then it's abandoned. If you want a modern Pocket PC to work with a modern WiFi encryption protocol, they want you to buy a new Pocket PC. And even STILL it often won't work. I have a new D-Link 802.11n router and the iPAQ 1950 I bought just will NOT connect to it...even if I scale it back to 802.11g speeds. It's incredibly frustrating. :evil: