View Full Version : PDA with qwerty input?

mcoulter
10-15-2007, 07:54 PM
I had an Axim PDA that was stolen awhile back and now I have the itch to replace it. After living with the Axim for awhile it became clear that its primary weakness was how you input data into it... The stylus method is just terrible.

Anyway, I thought it would be easy to find some sort of PDA now with a qwerty input -- not unlike a blackberry. Boy was I was wrong!

Can anyone suggest a device that...

1) Has a qwerty input

2) Runs Windows Mobile 5 or 6 - I need to synch with an Exchange server - or maybe a full version of XP or Vista (however I don't think I want to pay $$$ for a true UMPC)

3) Is WIFI enabled

4) Can play Windows Media (files and streams)

I don't need or want cell/smart phone connectivity -- just WIFI. Again, any suggestions would be great

wetsleet
10-15-2007, 10:16 PM
you and me also. My situation is a little worse, however, I have been waiting ever since my Psion 5mx bust its screen cable. Why can't someone strap a Psion keyboard onto something like the HP214 PDA, please? (maybe add integrated GPS too, seeing as it's nearly Christmas).

mcoulter
10-16-2007, 12:15 AM
Well I've found this site www.buildyourumpc.com and Adam from there has been pretty helpful. I've found two lines that are of interest:

http://www.buildyourumpc.com/category-s/1745.htm

and...

http://www.buildyourumpc.com/HTC-Advantage-X7501-p/htcx7501.htm (using its wifi only)

Both are right at the limit of what I would be willing to spend. Does anyone have experience with either the everrun or the advantage?

Nurhisham Hussein
10-22-2007, 08:56 AM
The Everun is a full-fledged UMPC, despite the size - it runs XP Home IIRC. It isn't even the cheapest UMPC, there are Samsung models that come in cheaper. Apart from the extra cost, you'll also need to be concerned about the much lower battery life.

As for the Advantage, there are plenty of opinions and reviews on it around the web (including here) - look up the keywords Advantage, xv7500, xv7501, and Dopod U1000. FWIW, that price they're quoting is very competitive though you should take the "savings" part with a grain of salt. It's selling for a little over US$1000 in my part of the world (though that's more because of the falling value of the US$ more than anything else).

mcoulter
10-22-2007, 11:39 AM
Thank you for your insight & comments Nurhisham.

Since posting this question on this board the N810 has come out which I find fairly tempting. Too bad it's Linux-based. If it was WinMobile it would be a home-run!

Nurhisham Hussein
10-23-2007, 10:51 AM
Oh my, yes - the Nokia's been looking mighty tempting to me, too!