View Full Version : MacBook Pro Sync...not really sync...

JohnJohn
10-14-2007, 12:05 AM
After a long hiatus from PocketPC devices I am back. The last one I had, that I really used, was a HP hx4705. I tossed around the SmartPhones, Blackberrys, and currently use an iPhone. A few days ago I picked up the at&t 8925 to use in addition to my iPhone. I am falling back in love with WM, and am enjoying WM6.

I need to get my MacBook Pro to see the 8925 as a hard drive. Since my home PC is on Exchange, I don't really need to sync PIM data. I just need a mac driver to allow it to see the PPC and a hard drive. I use a 6gb microSD in the 8925, and keep all my files, pictures, web design, and even customer data on that card.

Any one have any idea how to get my MacBookPro to see the device, even just as a drive? MissingSync, PocketMac...I know I can go that route but would like to just swap files.

Thanks!

Darius Wey
10-15-2007, 02:07 PM
The sync solutions you mentioned are a possibility. Another possibility is to pick up Parallels Desktop or VMWare Fusion and access the Pocket PC via ActiveSync/WMDC on a Windows VM.

JohnJohn
10-15-2007, 02:48 PM
The sync solutions you mentioned are a possibility. Another possibility is to pick up Parallels Desktop or VMWare Fusion and access the Pocket PC via ActiveSync/WMDC on a Windows VM.

Yeah I am running BootCamp with Vista one one side. I can sync files fine there. I need to use the same files on the OSX side also. Plus the music I use on the 8925. Trying to loose my thumb drive.

Neither PocketMac or MissingSync offer a trial $30-$40 seems a lot for just a driver.

Mark Kenepp
10-15-2007, 04:52 PM
The trial for The Missing Sync is here (http://www.markspace.com/downloads.html).

Not sure about PocketMac but I know there was a trial, at least for the Blackberry.

Somehow I think that if all you want to do is transfer data from your Mac to the MicroSD card on your 8925 then either of these two products would be overkill.

On top of that, I am guessing that the speeds would be painfully slow.

I would bet that a card reader would be the fastest way to transfer the data.

If you are wanting to synchronize your media, then that is a different story.

Also, you may be able to just transfer the files via bluetooth file transfer (I have never tried it myself with Windows Mobile but I used to do it with my Symbian p800). Of course, that too would be a slow process and I would not recommend transferring 6 Gigs of data through bluetooth.

JohnJohn
10-16-2007, 09:18 PM
Thanks, I was coming back to reply and say I found the 14 day trial offered by MissingSync.

Great idea doing Bluetooth. I will try that out.

I have an ExpressCard card reader right now. I just want to be able to to move the data quickly from computer to computer and OS to OS.

With Leopard on the way I may end ditching BootCamp and going back to Parallels. I really only use Vista for QuickBooks anyway. That runs fine in Parallels.

I post up here with my solution, if I find a good one that works for me.

Thanks for the help so far!