View Full Version : PocketPC Virtual Machine problems, questions, etc.

ipaqczar
10-11-2007, 03:18 PM
A few years ago on a different machine I had the Pocket PC emulator running a WM2003 image without any problems or hassles. Bam - right from the start menu.

I've wanted to get that functionality back - and on a different Windows 2000 box and an XP Laptop - it has been an absolute nightmare.

Downloads that require more downloads that require different components that require more downloads.

I had the emulator preview before and I know it wasn't more than 2 downloads to get it working.

I know there was one workaround posted here that I tried (using Dos to extract stuff from a msi image) and that didn't work either.

The hurdle that I've hit right now is it wants a virtual network driver and that isn't available anymore except through virtual PC and that won't install on Windows 2000.

While I know that a single exectuable is way too much to ask - trying to get a plain vanilla vritual WM2003 image running on my machine shouldn't require the .zip, .msi, SDK, "Can't install x because you don't have y" endless cycle of downloads.

Can anyone provide a walkthrough of an easy way to get the thing working on a Windows 2000 machine? I don't need WM5 or 6 or the ability to set up a virtual web server running over GSMS to transfer finanical data through secure SSL to France - I just want a virtual WM2003 Pocket PC....

JesterMania
10-12-2007, 01:37 AM
I don't have the files with me at the moment, but I think this is exactly what you want.

The instructions are here: http://www.furrygoat.com/2005/09/portable_ce_20.html

For step #1, it gives a link to download the program and the emulator image, which I think points to the wrong area. The link should be: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=C62D54A5-183A-4A1E-A7E2-CC500ED1F19A&displaylang=en

Good luck and let us know how you make out...

ipaqczar
10-12-2007, 05:01 PM
Rock and Roll!

Thanks Jester!

I've got the emulator working now.

It doesn't have internet access or activesync working, but it's miles further than I was before.

:D