View Full Version : Xbox Live over dial-up?! Are you nuts!?

Joelacrane
09-29-2007, 05:52 AM
Many of you know that I have dialup shared across my network. Someone on the boards here was amazed when i mentioned that Xbox Live works on it, but then I kinda dissapointed him by saying i only used the marketplace and text messages, never games or voice chatting.

The other day a friend invited me to a voice chat, so i was like "What the heck, I'll try it."

Bear in mind that my connection runs at 21.6kbps on average.

Voice chat worked nearly perfectly. I'm not kidding!

I waited in line for 30 minutes at wally world and got my copy of halo 3 at about 12:15 AM. Tonight, I decided to try a game on Xbox Live.

It got to matchmaking. It eventually connected to a game with 4 people. It loaded the game, paused... and worked! Sometimes it would stick me backwards a few steps, and grenades acted a little funky, but I got 13 kills before the leader scored the final 25th point. I might have done better, but my controller kept dying.

I just thought I'd post this up, since it is pretty bizarre if you ask me.

Joelacrane
10-03-2007, 03:49 AM
According to Bungie's "Router 7.0" video, they designed Halo 3 to be playable on dial-up. It was even listed on their acceptable types of internet, although it was at the bottom. Pretty cool.

Halo 1 for PC wouldn't run at all, ever.