View Full Version : Flame Time....

Larrison
09-29-2007, 01:03 AM
Background -- I'm a "long time" HP iPAQ user, starting with one of the earliest ones, which I bought in 2001. I'm now operating with Windows Mobile 5, on an HP 2795

I don't know what's going on with Windows Mobile -- but it just sucks compared to the old versions. Operating system stability is waaaayy down -- I have to do a soft reset at least once a day, when before it was like once every couple of weeks at most. Not only that, Activesyn is deleting files off the machine for no reason. Then I put it back into the synchronized folder, and it deletes it again... Whaaaaaa????? I've also had to create 3 new partnerships in the last month, since it can't recognize the existing one...

I'm doing backups about every 2 days, doing a copy for the machine itself, because I've noticed that Activesync is only synching some of the files -- and then deletes other files.

I'm not impressed with the current version of Windows Mobile and Activesync, to put it mildly. At this point I wouldn't recommend getting a PDA to anyone... and I have been one of the long time users of one. The stability and accuracy and usablility of Windows Mobile has taken 2 big steps backwards, in my opinion.

There.. Flame over. I just had to get this off my chest. I'm a lurker on these forums, so I don't speak much on them.

Russ Smith
12-02-2007, 02:29 PM
Larrison,
My wife has, more than a few times, nearly pitched her WM5 device against the wall (which wouldn't really solve the problem, would it?) because of the exact same things you mentioned. Synching has always been problematic, but I could always get it to work eventually until now. The worst part is the overwriting or deleting of what are clearly newer files. I can't explain it and I can't fix it. On my WM6 beast, I gave up on synching e-mail entirely. I just takes too long and sometimes just goes off into la-la land forever (until I manually stop it).

I haven't had any stability issues. In fact, I think it's overall more stable for us, but I do get annoyed at the screen real-estate eaten up by those two soft-buttons at the bottom and the snooze options that just disappeared in the transition from 2003SE to WM5.