View Full Version : How Great is the Great TyTN II?

Kadegboye
09-28-2007, 03:13 AM
I bought my TyTN II about 8 days ago.
While I cannot deny that TyTN II is a good device, my experience with this device has not been the best. The flaws that I have found so far are:-
1/ The backlight goes off about 10 seconds after you start a phone call. Therefore you cannot take note after that nor can you respond to a voicemail by tapping a number on this dark screen.
2/ The screen does not respond after about five minutes or more of taking a call and you cannot access the start button.
3/ The on-screen keyboard does not have CAP key so that you can type continuously in uppercase letters. However, I just stumbled into a solution to this problem and I found out how to type in uppercase letters without having to press the shift key before each letter.
4/ The worst problem that bothers me most is the battery life. If you make two phone calls lasting about 15 minutes each, my battery life is reduced by about half. Even with my XDA II (with probably the worst battery life) which I used for 4 years, my battery life will not be reduced to half by a 30 minute call.
As I have not tested many other aspect of this phone,who knows what other faults there are!
The last information I got about this phone is that a ROM is near release that may correct some of these problems. Does anybody have any information about this and how many of the problems it will solve? Otherwise, I will return the phone for refund.
Kay.

clarence.chau
09-28-2007, 07:31 AM
1. You can disable the screen from going off by changing a value in the Registry.
Go to this key:
\HKLM\Drivers\BuiltIn\RIL\
Modify the DWORD value "EnableFastDormantDisplayDuringCall", change it from 1 to 0.
Power off the phone then back on.

I bought my TyTN II the past Sunday and I'm very happy with it so far. The only thing that I didn't like is the lagginess of the camera (back) in low light condition. Other than that I'm happy with it.

Kadegboye
09-29-2007, 03:14 AM
Thanks Clarence. Where do I type the code that you gave me? Is it on TyTN II or on my desktop. Kindly give me step by step direction to do it.
Kay.

clarence.chau
09-29-2007, 03:59 AM
Thanks Clarence. Where do I type the code that you gave me? Is it on TyTN II or on my desktop. Kindly give me step by step direction to do it.
Kay.

Hello,

You will need to edit the registry value on the phone itself. You can download a free Registry Editor here http://www.freewareppc.com/utilities/phmregistryeditor.shtml
Copy the .CAB file onto the phone then run it to install.

After you have installed the Registry Editor:
1. You will see a set of keys in the Registry Editor
2. Expand "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE"
3. Expand "Drivers"
4. Expand "BuiltIn"
5. Then click on the key "RIL", you will then see a bunch of values shown
6. Edit the DWORD value "EnableFastDormantDisplayDuringCall". Change it from 1 to 0 then click ok.
7. Power off the phone then switch it back on. This forces the operating system to save the changes.