View Full Version : What's the best unlimited 3G option in the UK?

intastella
09-27-2007, 02:15 PM
I'm in the UK and my t-mobile contract is about to expire and I'm now looking for an upgrade. I can move to any a provider, but here's what I'm after:

-WM6 handset with 3g
-unlimited data plan
-ability to use the mobile as a 3g modem for my laptop
-ability to use voip either on handset or laptop

I've looked at the three x-series, but that doesn't have any WM6 handsets and doesn't allow laptop use.

It looks like t-mobile's web-and-walk max is the only real option, but that's £50 a month!

I'm wondering if anyone else has heard of any good deals that involve unlimited data (within reason) and allow laptop use.

They don't make it easy...

Any comments welcome.
intastella

clbsvi
09-29-2007, 09:27 PM
Here in the US, the best options are AT&T/Cingular and Verizon which is not 3G. It would seem to me that you might want to look at either a Blackberry cell phone or at T-Mobile's "Sidekick." Also, you might want to try and negotiate your rate with T-Mobile. When I dropped AOL and went with AT&T, AOL offered to cut their monthly charges from $24.95 to $4.95 USD if I would stay with AOL. By the way, I use a T-Mobile (Deutsche Telecom, I think) Type SDA Smartphone and will probably NOT move to AT&T/Cingular unless they make me a deal I can't refuse.
Another thought is to look at unlimited nights-and-weekends data rates, some starting as early as 7:00PM. AT&T/Cingular has 1000 hours anytime voice rates with unlimited minutes-carryover. If you have any techie friends, you might try data compression and burst transmission over cellelular voice lines, if they are really sharp. After all, digital voice and digital data look the same on a spectrum analyzer.