View Full Version : IBM Adds Windows Mobile Support In Lotus Domino (Notes) 8.0.1

Ed Hansberry
09-20-2007, 03:00 PM
<a href="http://www-03.ibm.com/press/us/en/pressrelease/22325.wss">http://www-03.ibm.com/press/us/en/pressrelease/22325.wss</a><br /><br /><i>"Mobile support for Lotus Notes and Domino Web Access users through IBM Lotus Notes Traveler- Following the shipping of Lotus Notes and Domino 8 that began worldwide in August, IBM is announcing Lotus Notes Traveler, a new client for Lotus Notes and Domino 8.0.1. Currently scheduled to be available in the first quarter of 2008, Lotus Notes Traveler will provide out-of-the-box, mobile support for Lotus Notes and Domino Web Access users, enabling access to Lotus Domino mail from Microsoft Windows Mobile devices. As currently planned, Lotus Notes Traveler will provide automatic, real-time replication of email, including attachments, calendar, address book, journal and to-do’s and will work over all wired and wireless connections."</i><br /><br />Wow, I never thought I'd see that. This is of particular interest to me as the company I work for uses Lotus Notes as their email platform in their corporate office. Time for a quick poll! :)

philb2k
09-21-2007, 02:48 AM
But will it be better than Commontime's mNotes, which has replicated Lotus Notes to Pocket PC (and Palm for that matter), for years.

Ed Hansberry
09-21-2007, 03:39 AM
But will it be better than Commontime's mNotes, which has replicated Lotus Notes to Pocket PC (and Palm for that matter), for years.

Don't know, that remains to be seen. It is free though, built into the server itself so no need for additional hardware or software. Another advantage to having it built in is when IBM wants to update Notes with a service pack or major revision level, the client doesn't have to wait until a third party bolt-on is ready for the patch/upgrade.

I'll be interested to see how well it works.

possmann
09-21-2007, 09:00 PM
How I absolutely HATE Lotus Notes… We are sitting on 6.5 and I doubt that there is any movement to push that to the current 8.x release. I could only dream (wish/hope) that a larger movement would be to ditch the whole Notes thin in place of Exchange and Outlook – features are far more robust, user friendly and enable user to be more effective and efficient (I know – I’m preaching to the choir here).
I’m waiting until Verizon gets off their tushie to release the 6800 which will then force me to purchase Commontime (ugh). I tried installing and hooking Outlook up through the Domino Add-In feature but haven’t been able to get that to work at all – sigh…

Man I really hate Lotus Notes…

JMountford
09-22-2007, 05:11 AM
I just change employers after over three years and looking for A different employer for over three months. I have to admit if I had known that the new employer was on Lotus Notes that would have been the straw that made me turn down the job.

(keeping in mind there were other things, but knowing beofre would have capped it)

After years and years of Exchange use and even being a network admin for sometime I will say I am very biased against Notes. Worse, NOTHING entregrates with it. The only option is really commontime, but it costs and is mostly server based from what I can tell. There is an Outlook to Notes connector, but it only works for Outlook 2002 and 2003 and notes 5 and 6 not 7 which is what my employer is using.

Perry Reed
09-23-2007, 01:48 AM
How I absolutely HATE Lotus Notes… We are sitting on 6.5 and I doubt that there is any movement to push that to the current 8.x release. I could only dream (wish/hope) that a larger movement would be to ditch the whole Notes thin in place of Exchange and Outlook – features are far more robust, user friendly and enable user to be more effective and efficient (I know – I’m preaching to the choir here).
I’m waiting until Verizon gets off their tushie to release the 6800 which will then force me to purchase Commontime (ugh). I tried installing and hooking Outlook up through the Domino Add-In feature but haven’t been able to get that to work at all – sigh…

Man I really hate Lotus Notes…

I hear ya, Possmann! My company also inflicts Notes 6.5 on us and it has to be the single worst, God-awful, piece of crap, productivity stealing, disgrace to all software anywhere, monstrosity it has ever been my vast misfortune from which to suffer.

Did I mention that I hate HATE HATE Lotus Notes? IBM got the big features entirely wrong and the little things even wronger. I can't imagine in a large company such as the one for which I work how many person-hours are absolutely wasted on a daily basis dealing the HUGE amount of stupidity, blunders, and bugs that comprise Lotus Notes.

I don't personally know anyone who likes it. The users absolutely despise it and the admins hate it even more. It should be taken out and shot, then burned, then shot again, just to be sure.