View Full Version : Upcoming Samsung Pocket PC with Mouse Pointer?

Janak Parekh
09-19-2007, 05:00 PM
Our pal at DinarSoft spotted the following Samsung Pocket PC phone at GITEX this week. In addition to the standard fare, the device appears to have a navigable mouse pointer controlled by some scroller mechanism underneath the screen (and presumably embedded in the d-pad).<br /><br /><object width="400" height="330"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/SpKQOP9LJRU"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SpKQOP9LJRU" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="400" height="330"></embed></object><br /><br />I have to admit, this is kind of cool. There's been times when I don't want to pull out the stylus, and I find touching the screen cumbersome in Pocket PC -- the mouse pointer would be a perfect compromise. I know the hx4700 had a mouse pointer-esque technology, but this one seems a lot more convenient than having to use the hx4700 touchpad. What's your thoughts? Do you agree or disagree? (Alas, we have no data as to the model number, nor when, nor where it will launch.)<br /><br /><b>Update:</b> As several of you pointed out (and Engadget Mobile has a snap of), this is the <a href="http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2007/09/22/samsung-shows-i780-with-windows-mobile-6-possible-blackjack-2/">upcoming Samsung SGH-i780</a>. Looks like it has HSDPA, and an <i>optical mouse</i>. 8O

Robb Bates
09-19-2007, 05:40 PM
Seems like the pointing device is like an upside-down optical mouse. I've always thought that would be a good idea for a handheld.

Robb

fresh-popcorn
09-19-2007, 05:45 PM
The pointer is very similar to the Nokia E-62 when using their browser. I miss it.
Its cool Samsung implemented it into the home screen also.

DinarSoft
09-19-2007, 05:46 PM
Seems like the pointing device is like an upside-down optical mouse. I've always thought that would be a good idea for a handheld.

Robb

Actually, the mouse pointer is controlled by the directional pad, it's like a small joystick that controls the mouse pointer
Like the IBM TrackPoint
http://www.almaden.ibm.com/cs/user/tp/trackpt.gif

We'll post the full specs of this device shortly

Frankie1
09-19-2007, 08:09 PM
The mouse pointer is super gay (not in a homosexual way, but gay as in unappealing and weird)

I use a Stowaway Bluetooth mouse that I have, not nearly as much as I do the stowaway ultra slim Bluetooth keyboard. The Bluetooth mouse is borderline impractical, though I do find it useful during RDP sessions. I think the mouse pointer on that phone would be more practical on devices with larger displays; devices that have limited one hand navigation (like my jasjar). However, I must commend the fact that they are moving toward innovations in mobile devices.

I love the concept but hate the implementation!

MTM
09-19-2007, 09:10 PM
It's called i710. Some pictures: http://www.allaboutphones.nl/forum/viewtopic.php?f=40&amp;t=603&amp;start=0&amp;st=0&amp;sk=t&amp;sd=a

Isn't a mouse pointer also used in HTC P3300 (The GPS handset with trackball)?

SteveHoward999
09-19-2007, 11:10 PM
The mouse pointer is super gay (not in a homosexual way, but gay as in unappealing and weird)

&lt;sigh>

I remember when gay just meant 'happy' ...

MarcTGFG
09-20-2007, 12:25 AM
Lets stop this unappealing language, shall we? Introducing gay as a derogatory word for something bad should be instantly stopped in its tracks.

I am not a super politically correct type of guy, but this is a bad trend. Just imagine people would start to say stuff like "this looks so black"....

Right, not a good idea. We have been there already...

The english language has more than enough appropriate and even cool adjectives for making fun of something or badmouthing it. No need to go the homophobic or racist way...

jngold_me
09-20-2007, 12:50 AM
Lets stop this unappealing language, shall we? Introducing gay as a derogatory word for something bad should be instantly stopped in its tracks.

I am not a super politically correct type of guy, but this is a bad trend. Just imagine people would start to say stuff like "this looks so black"....

The english language has more than enough appropriate and even cool adjectives for making fun of something or badmouthing it. No need to go the homophobic or racist way...

Um....too late....it's already used in such a fashion in the US and has been for quite a number of years.

Darren Behan
09-20-2007, 01:06 AM
Back to the topic. Yes, the HTC P3300 has a mouse mode (that you can turn on and off via the control panel) and is controlled by the rollerball. Most of the time I don't use it but there's nothing wrong with it and in some cases very convenient. I would probably use it all the time if it didn't take up so much of the screen and I didn't have to move it out of the way so much. It is much more convenient than trying to find a tiny spot on the screen with a stylus while wakling.

It would be more worthwhile to me if it auto hid after 10 seconds of inactivity then reappered by using the trackball.

db

DinarSoft
09-20-2007, 01:18 AM
Samsung i780

Hybrid Messaging
QWERTY keyboard / Full Touch Screen
Push E-Mail MSN

* Standard-HSDPA / WCDMA / GSM / GPRS /EDGE
(900/1800/1900MHz + 2.1 GHz)
* Camera - Main 3.2 Megapixel
* Display - 65K TFT (2.55" , 320x320)
* Size - 115.9x61.3x13.3 mm
* Features
Windows Mobile 6.0 Professional
QWERTY Keyboard / Full Touch UI
WLAN (802.11b/g) / Push E-mail
Optical Mouse
GPS with Navigation Client
Full Browser
Bluetooth Stereo Music Profile (A2DP)
Bluetooth v2.0 / USB 2.0
* Memory External : MicroSD

jamijam
09-20-2007, 01:57 AM
It really is a horrible way of navigating/controlling a mobile device. Funny how Apple has made some strides recently in interface usability with the iPhone and in the pocket PC world things are getting worse instead of better!

Ok ok, so it's not that bad, since you don't have to use it if you don't want to...

SteveHoward999
09-20-2007, 02:12 AM
Years ago I had a Belkin keyboard for my Toshiba E750. When using te keyboard, it added a mouse cursor to the screen. I could easily move it about the screen using the cursor arrows on the keyboard. It was great ... much less hassle than having to fiddle about with the stylus while typing.

Fast-forward to my Nokia E62. The web browser adds a cursor, similar to the one shown in the video of the Samsung. It's good, but not great. It's not so smooth as a mouse or trackball - but it certainly works.

I'd enjoy an optional mouse cursor on my phone and PDA. Nice idea. Let's see more.

tnels!
09-20-2007, 02:47 AM
I have a hx4700 and never used the mouse. In fact, it was broken and I never knew it. The stylus works so much better than any touch pad or scroll thingie. However a real mouse would probably be very nice with an external bluetooth keyboard.

Also, don't you think that the iPhone has come up with the best way to interface with a touch screen?

emuelle1
09-20-2007, 03:17 PM
I had an hx4705. The mouse function was all right. My D-pad liked to stick and force me to do a soft reset, so sometimes leaving it in mouse mode helped alleviate this sometimes. I didn't find the mouse that effective as you had to keep picking up your finger and moving it several times to navigate across the screen.

SteveHoward999
09-20-2007, 03:43 PM
Also, don't you think that the iPhone has come up with the best way to interface with a touch screen?

No. Most of that animated fluff slows things down and gets in the way of actually doing anything.

Powderfinger
09-20-2007, 04:07 PM
Just use a real mouse, like the former Think Outside ... now Igo Bluetooth mouse and keyboard. I have the HP iPAQ 4700 and I rarily use the touch pad but I use my BT mouse and keyboard all the time. Totally incredible. Because of these two items, I use my PocketPC more than my laptop. I only really use the laptop at work as I can get my e-mail on it as the company won't let me use the wireless on the PocketPC to grab my e-mail.

Frankie1
09-20-2007, 08:28 PM

Ooooooo you’re so sensitive :devilboy:

Well, I didn’t mean to offend anyone here, nor do I have an issues with anyone’s sexual preferences; actually my dearest friend is homosexual. Any ways, words are words: the word black can represent good and positive it does not matter to me how someone uses it, my skin is actually a dark brown color, some people call me black, some people call me tall, while others call me skinny; none of which offends me. Black is a color and can be used to describe many things positive and negative: Black magic – evil magic; black coffee – potent coffee. It does not matter to me. Who cares? Gay is a word we use to describe many things that are weird but it’s not the only word we use to describe such things, we also use; gay, ziggy, weird, strange, bap, flaw, whatever seems appropriate. I think you’re underestimating the intelligence of gay people or black people by making such statements. I’m sure no one gay felt offend or the same as people form African decent don’t get offended when people refer to black magic as negative magic, or Anglo-Saxons feel offended when someone says they hate driving through a white-out, the same as people who have dwarfism feel when I say “someone came up short” to refer to someone who did not do what was expected.

Stop being so freaking sensitive, call me black, really black, what ever, it’s a descriptor that’s it, who cares?

And yeah the mouse pointer on such a small display is super gay; I’d prefer it on my jasjar with that beautiful 3.6” VGA display. It’d make more sense on a device like that. :D

Frankie1
09-20-2007, 08:40 PM
It would be more worthwhile to me if it auto hid after 10 seconds of inactivity then reappered by using the trackball.

db

Now there's a bright idea (not bright as in a light bulb but bright as in intelligent :D ).

Now with that idea I can see the practicality with having it on a smaller screen, actually your idea seems like more of a necessity for that application/add-on to be practical. I really hope the include that with their next version.

TOCA
09-22-2007, 02:22 PM
I use a Stowaway Bluetooth mouse that I have, not nearly as much as I do the stowaway ultra slim Bluetooth keyboard. The Bluetooth mouse is borderline impractical, though I do find it useful during RDP sessions.

After having tested that BT mouse, I wont go without it any more.

When using a near full sized foldable keyboard, it's totaly impractical, to use the stylus too, but having a mouse laying next to the keyboard, is allmost second nature, and turns my PPC into the Laptop of choice, when not at the office.

That displayed pointing thingy, looks like another apprach towards onehanded use, as opposed to the "Touch Flow" introdused by HTC, which so far is only skin deep.

What I would realy like to know is:
Can the cursor speed be ajusted?
How easy is it to press the stick, without moving the cursor to the next item?