View Full Version : Bad Video Playback

Jordan Alexander Hartley
09-17-2007, 07:55 PM
Hi everyone, I new here and new with WindowsMobile devices in general.

Ive have just purchased my first WM phone, I have the HTC TyTN II (AKA-Kaiser/P4450) which has WM6.

I have been using for a few days now and it seems really good, as it my first PPC device i don't have anything to compare it to though. My problem though is video playback, when I play a video it has a very low FPS, it only plays at around the 2FPS mark, the audio plays fine.

The video Im trying to play is a .WMV file and is a 320x240 size video at 503Kbps.
I would expect the device to be able to play this video fine, the only reason for the bad video performance I can think of is the fact that I am playing from the built in ROM, (I don't have a memory card for it yet).
I have tried using multiple video players, the built in media player, pocket player, TCPMP, Pocket Divx and PocketTV Pro but I have the same problem in all of them with either the same video or an equivalent video.

could anyone give me any feedback with this, is it the fact that its running from the internal ROM, and therefore will a memory card solve the problem. :?:

Jason Dunn
09-17-2007, 09:12 PM
If the video is 320 x 240, but it's only playing at 2FPS, something is very, very wrong. How did you get the video? Did Windows Media Player transcode it for you? I'd take a known-good video and try that to see how it works...I suspect there's something bizarre with your video file.

Jordan Alexander Hartley
09-17-2007, 09:20 PM
The file I was actually using to try it out, nothing special just a video cast from on10 http://www.on10.net/link/a8a18f0a-b61d-45fe-9d84-8f8cb80cf94b/

Nurhisham Hussein
09-18-2007, 06:29 AM
Are you viewing the streamed file, or did you rip it down to your device first?

Nurhisham Hussein
09-18-2007, 07:16 AM
Never mind - got fooled by the link opening up WMP. I'll have a go at it and let you know. A couple of things though - that's a pretty big file, so I'm not sure if the bitrate might not be higher than expectte. Second, WMV tends to be processor intensive, so bitrate comparisons might not be truly valid. As to your concerns, flash memory tends to be pretty fast when read from, so there shouldn't be much of a difference running the file from internal memory or from a memory card.

Jordan Alexander Hartley
09-18-2007, 07:35 AM
I both downloaded it and tried it streaming, both played exactly the same, the only videos I have managed to play proporly are very low quality mpeg videos.

Nurhisham Hussein
09-19-2007, 05:24 AM
I think we have to face the possibility that your device is defective in some way. I've tried the video and it works fine in both WMP and TCPMP on my (WM2003SE) device.

Jordan Alexander Hartley
09-19-2007, 08:16 AM
I just tried using "windows media encoder" to re-encode the video using its PPC profile and the video seems to play muc better, almost perfect,

do you still think my device should be alot better considering it brand new.

Nurhisham Hussein
09-20-2007, 02:00 AM
do you still think my device should be alot better considering it brand new.

I think so - I played the media file on my device as is, without any transcoding. Have you tried any files using other codec types like Divx? It could just be a problem with the WM9 codec used in that file.