View Full Version : A new PDA...but which?

merk1821
07-23-2007, 06:56 AM
Ive told about my experiences about my mishap with my Jornada. Ive been without the services of that unit for a few days and i truly miss it. My Razr phone is a poor substitite for the Contacts/Calendar/Notes/Tasks features and even the viewing of Reader/Word/Avantgo content is missed. I have a simple request. What should I get to replace my trusted Jornada as a standalone PDA?

r@dimus
08-15-2007, 03:31 AM
Probably most any of the current standalone models would suite you. If you want to get something with a CF slot then look at the HP 2900 series.

merk1821
08-15-2007, 06:47 AM
Tahks R@dimus for the reply. My question is who is still making standalone PDA's. With Dell gone ( well at least in North America) it leaves the standalone market very vacant. HP and Asus are the only manufacturers that are still selling here in Canada. Any ideas?

r@dimus
08-15-2007, 03:59 PM
Dell isn't making their own PDA's anymore but in the US they are selling Asus, Socket, and Pharos PPC's. HP's standalone devices, the hx2495, hx 2795, and rx5915 are no slouches. I think that's about it shy of importing anything or getting a phone-enabled model without wireless service. If you need a CF slot the HP hx-series and the Socket PPC's are the only ones out of the above that have that. Outside of that all of these devices have capabilities beyond what the Jornada had.

clbsvi
08-15-2007, 10:30 PM
8/15/2007 at 4:30PM CDT-USA
I've had excellent luck with an HP hx2495. Currently has been in use about 4 years this next December. Only problem is that the primary LiIon battery is beginning to die due to age and is not replaceable (except by mail-off, say to PPC Techs). The unit also has a non-replaceable NiMH backup battery which is still going great. The unit has a compact flash slot which I have filled with a 512MB card and also an SD slot which I do not use. For ultimate backup, essential files can be easily move to the compact flash card. Also has a plastic hinged face cover and a stylus which I have never lost. Has built-in WiFi and Bluetooth. Just finished surfing the net using WiFi through my base laptop, a Toshiba M45-S269, also with built in WiFi and Bluetooth. I loathe BlueTooth and think it should be replace solely with a power-scalable WiFi, perhaps using a slider like the HP uses for screen lighting control, or a discrete 4 or 5 step switch, as appropriate. Let us know, if you haven't already, what you finally chose.

Nurhisham Hussein
08-16-2007, 04:08 AM
I've had excellent luck with an HP hx2495. Currently has been in use about 4 years this next December.

I don't see how that's possible, unless you are referring to the 2200 series. The hx2000 models were released in late 2005 IIRC.

clbsvi
08-16-2007, 09:30 PM
You are right. Us old guys have faulty memories.
I am on-line now as I write this. This device is in the hx2700 series but is more likely to be about 3 years old this next December.
In addition to a poor memory, I also suffer from "Love Alzheimer's." Woe is me. That is why I rely on you PPC Thoughts guys to keep me straight. Thanks!
s/ Lee Browning and his trusty sidekick, Wolfgang von Browning (55 pound Chow Dog)