View Full Version : PDAs and SPs in the movies...

Dale Daniels
07-11-2007, 06:57 PM
I went to see the new Bruce Willis movie, "Live Free or Die Hard" a few nights ago and saw PDAs featured throughout the movie. Good guys and bad guys alike were using them, as well as some soft keyboards and other tools. I have not identified all of the devices in the movie yet. Has anyone seen it, and can you tell what the devices are?

A bunch of movies have featured mobile devices. In the Robin Williams movie "RV" he is forced to write an entire business presentation on his Blackberry and only had the thumboard to do it. Mobile devices are definitely in the limelight these days.

What other movies have you seen that feature PDAs or Smartphones? I am sure there is a multitude lately.

shaun0207
07-11-2007, 07:07 PM
I've seen theMoto Q on "Supernatural". Cloe Sullivan on "Smallville" always has some sort or smartphone. The Showtime show "Weeds", I've seen some smartphones on there.

Cybrid
07-13-2007, 07:59 AM
Oh they've done that for years. And its wrong mostly...
http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=48505&highlight=hollywood

Joelacrane
07-16-2007, 08:42 PM
I would post this on that thread, but i hate to bump one that is so old...

I did see a movie where a Pocket PC Phone was used correctly for the most part. The main person was stranded in a foreign country and it was pretty much the only resource she had. She used it to make phone calls (Duh), and she also used it to record someones voice to gain entry to a voice activated door. She used "Notes" to accomplish the task, the showed her tapping "record" with her stylus, and they even included all of the sounds that we are all so familiar with. I don't remember what device it was, but it was running something before Windows Mobile 5. The movie was "The Net 2.0", and the Pocket PC was really the only thing interesting.

They even used Windows XP on all of the computers, and they didnt beep and click constantly! The only retarded computer was a large "server" that she worked on. The screen was movie-theater-sized and the interface was ridiculously good looking. I mean better than Compiz good-looking. I doubt most servers have more than a very basic GUI if not just a command line.

I remember also seeing a bit of a movie a few years ago, "Big Fat Liar", more of a kids movie. This was back when I just had a Palm device, so it didn't mean much to me at the time, but I remember them using a Pocket PC, and it was correct. They were simply viewing contacts and appointments, but it was right. All of my high school friends were there and they are said "Hey look its Joel with a PDA!" when the kid whipped it out. I was the only high schooler I knew that owned and used one.

I do remember seeing Windows NT workstations in the Bourne Identity, that was kinda cool, but I do not remember seeing any Pocket PC's as mentioned in the other thread.

The misuse of electronics in movies irritates me to no end. Didn't mean for that post to be so long...