View Full Version : Windows Vista

Mari49
07-06-2007, 02:59 AM
Is anyone else having trouble getting the Mobile PC to sync using Vista. They tell me that you don't need ActiveSync, just to use the Windows Mobile Device Center.

I get connected and get desktop errors when I try to sync. :evil: :? This is beyond my scope... any help out there??

Nurhisham Hussein
07-06-2007, 07:15 AM
Hi, welcome to PPCT!

I'm afraid you're not alone in this - what kind of errors are you getting? The more specific you are, the easier it will be for some of the members here to help.

Mari49
07-06-2007, 01:32 PM
The error says ActiveSync encountered an problem on the desktop

I didn't download ActiveSync because I already have Windows Mobile Device Center and I was afraid they would conflict with each other.

Nurhisham Hussein
07-09-2007, 08:10 AM
WMDC supersedes AS on Windows Vista, so you're on safe grounds there. That error message is terribly helpful isn't it? I'm afraid I have to give way here - I'm not by any stretch an expert on WMDC or AS4.x.

newst
07-09-2007, 05:43 PM
Admittedly syncing with Windows Mobile has never been a true plug and play experience. WMDC has not improved anything in this regard.

From personal experience I have had the best results when:

1. Insuring that Activesync is not running in the PPC when I connect to the PC.

2. Insuring that the PPC is off when I connect to the PC.

Videodoc
07-16-2007, 03:37 AM
I had the same problem after updating my Cingular 8525 to the new ATT Rom. Then I found out if you go to Microsoft's Web site and go to the mobile section and download Wondows Mobile Device Center 6.1 and have it replace the one that comes with Vista it works fine.

Kadegboye
08-01-2007, 02:50 AM
Hi,
Windows Vista and WMDC problems are very common!! Recently, I bought a new PC with windows Vista Premium edtion. I downloaded WMDC 6.1 and tried to sync. my old XDA II using WM 2003. I succeeded to a great extent because my contacts and other outlook files were synchronized. However, my other programs which are medical programs did not synchroize. Does anybody know how to fix this? Thanks.
Kay

Sven Johannsen
08-01-2007, 04:30 AM
Hi,
Windows Vista and WMDC problems are very common!! Recently, I bought a new PC with windows Vista Premium edtion. I downloaded WMDC 6.1 and tried to sync. my old XDA II using WM 2003. I succeeded to a great extent because my contacts and other outlook files were synchronized. However, my other programs which are medical programs did not synchroize. Does anybody know how to fix this? Thanks.
Kay

I will make the assumption here that these programs added a sync conduit into AS. That is, they added another icon to the list of Contacts, Calendar, etc. AS had an extensible architecture, that let third parties write sync programs (conduits) that used the AS connection to sync their own data. These conduits are typically installed the first time you install the program onto the PPC via the desktop, and through AS.

I am sure that WMDC is extensible in the same way, but naturaly, not compatibly with the AS conduits. If re-installing the app, while connected via Vista doesn't help any, the only recurse is to contact the application provider and express your need for Vista/WMDC support.