View Full Version : iPhone-Jack of all trades; master of none

Dale Daniels
06-28-2007, 06:32 AM
The reviews have started coming out for those who have the privilege to get an iPhone before the rest of us. As most of the articles have said, this is a much anticipated release and there are people camping out to be the first in line to get theirs. However, initial reviewers are saying exactly what I suspected.

At work, many people know that I am the gadget man. I love tech toys for work and play. The truth is, I need a clear purpose in order to justify laying out hundreds of dollars on a new piece of technology. My Pocket PC was an easy choice, and I have increased its usefulness exponentially since I bought it. I intended it to merely manage my calendar and email, but it now does everything from filling in as a remote control for my TV and surround sound system, to playing MP3s and movies. I can create and edit Word, Excel and PowerPoint documents that I find useful in my job on a daily basis. I have been impressed with the wide range of uses one can get from a PDA or Smartphone, and the vast array of available software.

So, knowing that I am a techno-toy person, I have had an incredible number of coworkers ask me when I am getting an iPhone. To be honest, I am tired of the question, and I would proudly wear a T-shirt that displays my general feelings for the device. The fact is, many people who have not researched it completely, see the iPhone as the perfect cross between a Smartphone and an MP3 player. In reality the iPhone doesn’t do either in an exceptional manner.

As for the Smartphone-like functions that everyone expects…I think they will feel a bit let down from the experience. Sure, one can surf the web and check email on the iPhone, but I can do that on my Cingular 8525. With the move to pure Smartphone technology offerings, direct push email provides a level of connectivity that past generations never got to enjoy. But, as I mentioned, there is an advantage to the Smartphone, a vast supply of software that adds an incredible amount of new functionality. Voice commands, email consolidation, instant messaging tools, to name but a very few, make the PDA or Smartphone a great deal. The iPhone does not have new software capability so the user will have to settle for that which is already loaded.

With my HP iPAQ hx2795 I have the ability to switch out SD and CF cards, and the Cingular 8525 uses microSD cards. The number of downloaded music and movies (and software) is only limited by the number of cards I have purchased. The iPhone does not have a card slot so the user is stuck with the 4 gb or 8 gb capacity. You would be surprise how quickly you can fill up that space.

On the other side of the fence we have the MP3 player functionality. My advice? By a Smartphone and a 30 gb iPod. The limited capacity of the iPhone doesn’t allow it to even get close to the number of music and movies that I have on my Smartphone and iPod combined. Why would I need so many? It isn’t about need with me, it is about doing it because I can.

Another disadvantage of the iPhone is its limited battery capacity. Although it was advertised that it had superior run time, initial reports are bit gloomy in that area. Start playing videos and it cuts into that battery time even more. If you find yourself listening to music a great deal, you might find your battery a little flat when you need it on that long call from a significant other. For my PDA and Smartphone I bought extended batteries right away to alleviate that very problem.

No matter what I say, hype sells. Apple had run a successful advertising campaign and there are very few who do not know about the iPhone. Despite my personal views on the iPhone, those who ask my opinion seem to have already made up their mind. Apple pumped them up and got them excited about the iPhone…enough so that many are willing to shell out the $600+ dollars for the device. Some Smartphones fit in that price category, but many service providers offer discounts for signing up new service, or upgrading existing service. No discount will be available for the iPhoneThose who have not experienced the functionality of a Smartphone will probably find it adequate for thier needs. We PDA folk will not be impressed.

isajoo
07-01-2007, 09:17 AM

Cortex
07-01-2007, 06:03 PM
one thing i will say for the iphone is it has a beautiful user interface. i've often wondered why so many apps dont have an interface that is finger driven so i wouldnt' have to pull out a stylus just to hit an 'ok' or some other button. it really shows how little ingenuity/development has taken place with the windows ce/mobile operating system. my wm5 on the xv6700 looks pretty much the same as my first t-mobile ppcp. its also funny to think back to my first windows ce device (velo) and what a literal interpretation the user interface was of desktop windows even though the machine was pocket sized. hopefully the humiliation will inspire microsoft to innovate or at least copy some of the iphone interface and navigation features.

isajoo
07-01-2007, 07:37 PM

onepieceman
07-01-2007, 11:23 PM
To me, it would be really interesting to compare "time between reboots". From what I hear, iPhone has it's fair share of crashes, but it's early days. I'm lucky if I get through a whole day without my Hermes needing to be poked in the reset hole. In fact, that's the main use for the stylus, as most other things can be done without it!
One of the advantages of a closed platform on the iPhone should be that it will be much more reliable, which, on a phone, is much more important than most other places.

ironguy
07-02-2007, 07:40 PM
CNN just reported that over 500,000 iphones have been sold since the 29th. Almost all APple and ATT stores are sold out. Ridiculous!

rookcnu
07-02-2007, 11:14 PM
I was able to play with an 8gb iPhone this morning for about 30 minutes. One of the guys in our IT department (Apple freak) bought one at the McArthur Mall Apple store in Norfolk, Virginia on Saturday. He said there were absolutely no lines. He walked right in and bought it with no wait what so ever.

Hmmm!

Anyway,... I will admit that I loved the simplicity of the iPhone and the ability to get to everything with my fingers. But I can do all of that now on my Cingular 8125. I installed Smartskey and I never pull out my stylus unless I have to do a soft reset.

The screen on the iPhone is huge, though, but the unit as a whole is very thin (half that of my 8125) and pretty much the same length and width.

I also loved the visual voice mail feature.

The one thing that I could not understand was how long it took to load up web pages. EDGE was really slow. Maybe it was because of the building we were in, who knows. But it was terrible. It took almost four minutes to load up some of the web pages I went to. Now understand that I do not have a data plan with my Cingular 8125,... I just use wi-fi. But I have seen much faster service on other phones.

I can sync my calendar, contacts, e-mail (granted it is not HTML cause I have WM 5), photos, music, movies, etc. just like the iPhone.

So,... if the only thing this iPhone can do that is head and shoulders above my 8125 is visual voicemail, then it has to make one think why I would dish out twice the money. I can get 2gb mini sd cards on -line for $18 a piece. Get four of those for under $80 and I have the same memory capacity as the iPhone and still have saved hundreds of dollars. Sure, I have to carry around the little mini sd buggers, but hey....

Don't get me wrong,... I really like the iPhone, but it is not going to make me change over from a WM device. I like the ability to add third party apps and expand the memory.

Eriq Cook
07-03-2007, 01:35 AM
I'd never buy the iPhone. Limited software support and lack of voice command functionality kills it for me. Sure, it has a nice interface, but that's about it. I'd loose it if I can't speak basic commands to a screen-only device that also lacks keyboard and/or buttons. And I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think the iPhone can sync with Outlook/Exchange either.

The iPhone will have its own market, just like the blackberry and Mac fans in general. The blackberry is for people who live by email. Windows Mobile is for business users/professionals who need access to critical business applications such as Outlook/Exchange, Microsoft Office, Terminal services, etc. The iPhone is for general consumers who like to look good, listen to music and play video and in a category of its own.