View Full Version : 8525 or Wing?

rlobrecht
06-14-2007, 09:37 PM
I've currently got an iMate Jam on T-Mobile, however its dying. For the past month or two it has been turning itself completely off, and when I turn it back on it soft resets. When its "off" I don't get calls or messages. Well today, it has spontaneously hard reset itself twice.

I like the form factor of the Jam, but think I want a keyboard. I'm considering the Wing and the 8525. It looks like the 8525 is a better device, for only $50 more, however I'd have to get a new contract, and Cingular looks more expensive.

Which would you get? Why?

JesterMania
06-16-2007, 12:41 AM
Well, seeing as nobody has answered I'll take a stab at it. Here are the advantages of each:

8525:
- 400MHz processor vs 200MHz
- 3G UMTS/HSDPA support

Wing:
- thinner and spring-loaded keyboard, an over-all better exterior design. Feels more durable too

Basically it comes down to form vs. functionality. If the 200MHz processor and lack of 3G support is not an issue, then get the Wing for sure. Also, I've heard of durability issues with the Hermes' telescopic stylus and slide-out keyboard loosening over time (the Wing with its spring-loaded keyboard should not have these issues). However, if you want to roam in countries that have only 3G (like Japan - using a SoftBank SIM) then the 8525 would be the clear option.

For myself, I want the 400MHz processor and 3G support so personally I would take the 8525. Your needs may differ...

hrcesal
06-16-2007, 01:55 AM
I thought I would let you know. I am a T-mobile customer. I sold my Dash and got a Cingular 8125 which I unlocked and put on Windows Mobile 6. Works great, and the MyFaves works normally.

I then came across a Cingular 8525 for $180, and so bought it, unlocked it, and put on Windows Mobile 6. Works like a charm. the keyboard is a bit loose, but that 400mhz processor kicks the 200mhz all over.

My choice: 8525.

Spudley112
06-17-2007, 04:22 AM
Another vote for the 8525. I have been one of the PDA hold outs who prefer the Pocket PC over a smartphone. I liked the idea of more memory, more options and a higher mhz processor. However, my wife wanted to move on and get a Cingular 8525 so I bought her one for her birthday. I gotta say, that phone has changed my mind! My hx2795 has a 624mhz processor, compared to the 400mhz processor on the 8525, but I have not noticed any differences in performance. THis is the year I plan to move over to the smartphone crowd

rlobrecht
06-17-2007, 02:00 PM
I find it intereting that the people who bothered to reply all vote the 8525, and yet teh voting is dead even at 5 & 5 (right now.) I tried to go to my local T-Mobile and Cinglar store last night, but they both closed at 7 (which I found pretty bizarre for a Sat. night.) They're both open today.

whoster69
07-01-2007, 07:18 PM
If you can wait a month or so, the HTC Kaiser will be out on AT&T. It will beat both.

rlobrecht
07-02-2007, 01:54 AM
I couldn't wait. My Jam hard reset itself twice in the same day (randomly.) I got the 8525, and am quite happy. I played with the Wing, and although the size was fantastic, it was too slow.

Eriq Cook
07-07-2007, 10:58 PM
Stay AWAY from the T-Mobile Wing. I'm a power user and have to say that it takes me back to the days of the HP iPAQ 6300 series. I'll be posting an overall summary of my problems with the Wing in a separate post shortly...

lm3870
08-13-2007, 10:59 PM
I finally decided to go for a PPC phone. The Cingular 8525 looks the best, but requires me to convince my wife and daughter to jump from Verizon!

Is it true the Kaiser will be out yet this Fall, or is it just rumor? I can buy the 8525 from Amazon, but then do I have to get the SIM card from Cingualr to "unlock" it? How does that work?

Someone above mentioned that they put WM 6 on the 8525 - I thought it came with WM5??

Thanks for the help.