View Full Version : My dilemma...

fishcube
06-08-2007, 09:29 PM
I want a pocket pc with slide keyboard or flip keyboard. With windows mobile software. But, I DO NOT need the phone option (can't use this function). I would like to stay under $300 and preferably under $200. I mainly want it for database/checklists, photos, pim functions.

I don't mind having the phone pocket pc's, but want to make sure I can use it normally without using the phone software etc.

Any suggestions/recommendations?

Sharon

Cybrid
06-09-2007, 05:44 AM
I want a pocket pc with slide keyboard or flip keyboard. With windows mobile software. But, I DO NOT need the phone option (can't use this function). I would like to stay under $300 and preferably under $200. I mainly want it for database/checklists, photos, pim functions.

I don't mind having the phone pocket pc's, but want to make sure I can use it normally without using the phone software etc.

Any suggestions/recommendations?

SharonFor the budget...try some secondhand ones like a X50...you'd be able to get a decent device for that price.

Mark Kenepp
06-09-2007, 11:44 PM
Regarding the phone function, the device will certainly function as a pocket PC if it is not activated for phone service. You may get a message when you turn it on saying that the phone will not function but that is easily dismissed.

Sven Johannsen
06-10-2007, 03:54 AM
I want a pocket pc with slide keyboard or flip keyboard. With windows mobile software.
AFAIK there aren't any non-phone PPCs with a keyboard. There was a form of windows mobile device early on that had a keyboard called a Handheld PC. There were thumb boards that attached to some earlier PPCs. Used ones of those older devices are still around.

Newer devices that have a keyboard are inveriably phones. Again used older models are the only ones that will fit in your price range, if you do not want the phone. The units are only reasonably priced if subsidized by a carrier via a phone contract.

Not sure why you are insistant on a keyboard though, many of use went through many years of PPCs without any keyboard options. The on screen keyboard and the handwriting recognition, or ink, worked fine for a long time, and is even better than it used to be.

mscdex
06-10-2007, 06:15 PM
If you don't mind (built-in) thumb keyboards, there's the iPAQ h4355. It also has built-in wifi and bluetooth as well. I used mine for quite awhile for IM and web browsing and whatnot until I get fed up with the sluggishness of WM in general and then switched to a Zaurus C1000 8) But I'm not completely out of the Microsoft handheld OS arena, I still own and use a Windows CE.Net 4.2 tablet occasionally :wink:

fishcube
06-18-2007, 04:43 PM
Because I like an actual keyboard. I don't like the ones that appear on screen. I've had many a pda with those types of keyboard and don't like them.

I mainly want it for PIM functions and notepad and be able to download photos/notes and use for databases.

I like the looks of the T-mobile Wing, and it seems I can find it for $385-400 new/used without contract.