View Full Version : bluetooth versus wi-fi

dan.me
06-06-2007, 01:30 AM
Hi,
i want to connect my pocket pc using bt, as i'll save a lot of energy this kind.
Will i have any drawbacks as against to a wi-fi connection in terms of content that i'm able to access, way of access etc?
I know the range is shorter and bandwidth lower but i don't care too much.

I read that using wi-fi i must established an ad hoc connection, is it worth as against a normal one?

I don't know, are there wireless routers or access points that link to blootooth devices?
I'm in the stage for searching the suitable router for a small wireless network comprised of Windows and Linux desktops and PPCs. I use cable modem for the internet, the ISP won't give me a router, i must find it myself and link it to the ISP cable modem.
How can i connect that way please because i intent to use BT?

IpaqMan2
06-06-2007, 03:55 PM
Hello Dan,

I am not an expert in this area, but I will tell you what I know. First thing firt, I Believe in the newest version of Active sync, Microsoft removed the ability to synchronize your ppc/wm device through Bluetooth. So if you want to use bluetooth you will have to find an older version of active synce on the internet. Also if you want to use Bluetooth on your PC and your PC does not have one, the easiest way to do this is to by a Bluetooth usb device. You can get them on Ebay pretty cheap.

Now I don't know if you can use bluetooth like WiFi and access a network. Perhaps someone else may be able to answer that question and also let yo know if WiFi can be used to sync your PDA to a desktop PC.

dan.me
06-07-2007, 01:09 AM
Hi IpaqMan2,
I have ActiveSync 4.5 build 5096 and it seems it can Connect using Bluetooth from its help. I found this interesting:
http://www.aximsite.com/bluetooth/
also i don't see how could i link PPC alone to the internet when all the other desktops are shut down.

Sven Johannsen
06-07-2007, 05:04 AM
It was WiFi sync that was removed from AS and WMDC center for later versions. This was directed at syncing to the desktop, but since AS and WMDC created the path through which you could access your network, it effectively eliminated the WiFi passthrough feature.

You can sync and pass-through to the net via BT.

There are BT 'routers/access points' just as there are WiFi routers/access points. They are just not all that common. ( http://www.mobiletechreview.com/tips/belkin_AP.htm) You can do pretty much what you can do with a WiFi AP/Router.

What you gain with WiFi over BT is speed, at the expense of battery use.

For a small wireless network, I would still use WiFi, getting a Linksys or similar AP/Router/Switch to service the majority of items you mentioned, and get the BT AP for the handheld stuff if you are still looking to go that way. I think you will find it more economical and get better performance out of the desktops using WiFi.

dan.me
06-08-2007, 04:04 AM
They are just not all that common. ( http://www.mobiletechreview.com/tips/belkin_AP.htm)

This looks cool, thanks.

For a small wireless network, I would still use WiFi, getting a Linksys or similar AP/Router/Switch to service the majority of items you mentioned, and get the BT AP for the handheld stuff if you are still looking to go that way. I think you will find it more economical and get better performance out of the desktops using WiFi.

Yes, for desktops i'll use cable and/or wi-fi, just for PPC BT.
I'd like to chat with it more of the time, so BT BW will be enough for that. When i'll play a game or else, i'll switch to wi-fi.
For sure i'll need a keyboard too and linked wirelessly with BT will be great.

dan.me
06-08-2007, 04:13 AM
In fact it would be great a "combo" wireless router with cable ports, wi-fi and BT, do you know something?

I think i'll need this device because i need internet access for the Pocket PC even with all desktops shut down.

poisonz
07-08-2007, 07:30 AM
Hi IpaqMan2,
I have ActiveSync 4.5 build 5096 and it seems it can Connect using Bluetooth from its help. I found this interesting:
http://www.aximsite.com/bluetooth/
also i don't see how could i link PPC alone to the internet when all the other desktops are shut down.
BT uses port like com1..com2 and so on. (means you need to connect to something to function or bridge)
WiFi uses protocol with TCP/IP base. So, it doesnt need to connect to something to function. It will need to talk to something to get connection. (words are tricky, but once you understand network it all makes sense, just like difference between internet and intranet.)
I really dont know a good use of BT, other than headset, GPS, and modem.
BT router is only good when you dont have a WiFi card in your phone or PPC.
If using BT over WiFi, its just like using dial over DSL. You figure the speed.

dan.me
07-08-2007, 12:06 PM
http://www.mobiletechreview.com/tips/belkin_AP.htm
this Bluetooth Access Point seems to connect me as i want, to a switch.
I want to use BT over Ethernet, what's your opinions, could this Belkin connect me to the internet using just a router and a switch, no PC started?

BT 2.1 devices can reduce the power consumption up to 5 times towards the older BT versions. Also BT device in general take much less power than a WI-FI device so that's my reason to develop a parallel BT network, for mobility reasons.