View Full Version : life after Dell

welinder
06-05-2007, 09:48 PM
our company had standardized on the dell axim x51v. now that dell has dropped us what should we do? we have no need for a pocketPC with mobile phone functionality. the closest i've found is the mio 550. asus are really hard to find. the toshiba e800 is discontinued. any thoughts?

we're in the usa btw...

Jason Dunn
06-05-2007, 09:50 PM
What are your needs - VGA devices without phone functionality? There aren't any more in production...I think you might need to switch to a QVGA device and look at something from HP. There really aren't many choices any more, it sucks... :(

welinder
06-06-2007, 05:33 PM
What are your needs - VGA devices without phone functionality? There aren't any more in production...I think you might need to switch to a QVGA device and look at something from HP. There really aren't many choices any more, it sucks... :(

hi Jason, we don't necessarily need the resolution but the screen size is critical. our application display's lots of medical data so 3.5" to 4.00" screens are highly desirable. a speedy cpu is nice, i believe the axim had a 622 (?) Mhz cpu. regarding memory, 64 is ok but the 128Mb or ram that's on the toshiba is much better. don't need bluetooth, sync goes through a cradle so we don't even need wifi... we're still looking.

joderias
06-11-2007, 09:39 PM
I had a Palm LifeDrive, then a Palm TX, and then the Dell Axim 51V

I really like the 640x480 screen, the LifeDrive screen was even bigger (though the Axim has better resolution)

I love these devices, some company must be producing a device like this for Windows Media 6, please answer if you know about this

Jason Dunn
06-12-2007, 10:31 PM
The unfortunate reality is that there aren't that many devices out there - the VGA screens are really expensive, require fast CPUs because they're pushing 400% more pixels, and use up more battery life.

But if you're looking for VGA Pocket PCs, here's a site worth checking out:

http://www.vgapocketpc.com/

Targaid
08-04-2007, 10:59 AM
Do you really need to upgrade/change?

If the Axims you have are working then why not stick with them? Or is there some kind of corporate tax-break that you need to buy new ones regularly? :?

PPCApache
10-13-2007, 10:08 AM
You may want to have a look at HP's new iPaq 210/211 series ref here (http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF06a/215348-215348-64929-314903-215384-3544499.html).

Operating system: Microsoft® Windows Mobile® 6 Classic
Processors available: Marvell PXA310 processor 624 MHz
Memory: 128 MB SDRAM
Flash memory: 256 MB Flash ROM
Audio, Slots, and Ports: Audio Integrated microphone, receiver, two speakers, 3.5mm 4 pin headphone jack
Ports

Standard:
1 mini USB
1 headphone/line-out
1 microphone in
1 docking connector

Slots
1 SDIO
1 Compact flash
Graphics and Input/Output devices

Display: 4.0-inch Transflective color TFT 480 x 640 pixel touch screen with LED backlight

Input devices: touch screen, stylus

Communication features: Wireless 802.11b/g with WPA2 security; Bluetooth 2.0 with EDR

Software installed
Windows Mobile Office Outlook; Windows Mobile Office; Internet Explorer Mobile; Windows Media Player Mobile; Microsoft ActiveSync; Windows Mobile Device Center; MSN Messenger; Games; Calculator; Audio Recorder

Product specifications

Dimensions (w x d x h)
2.99 x 0.63 x 4.96 in (76 x 16 x 126 mm)

Weight
6.8 oz (192 g)

Power and Battery
Battery Removable/rechargeable 2200 mAh Lithium-ion

I think if this is as good as it says it is a great replacement for the Axim X51v with actual support for once...lol

Cheers

Jace

tregnier
10-13-2007, 04:19 PM
What are your needs - VGA devices without phone functionality? There aren't any more in production

Are there VGA devices with phones? I love my Axim X51v, but I wish it had a phone.

Sven Johannsen
10-15-2007, 04:34 AM
What are your needs - VGA devices without phone functionality? There aren't any more in production

Are there VGA devices with phones? I love my Axim X51v, but I wish it had a phone.

There are probably more, but the HTC Universal, in the form of an I-Mate JasJar is one I have. It's a honker, but it is a VGA with phone device.

Just seems like the manufacturers are shying away from high res devices altogether. Don't know if it is a cost factor, or mayby it is tough to get acceptable battery life out of a VGA device with a phone section. You throw two features that suck battery in the same unit and you have trouble selling it. Folks with a phone, want their phone to last all day and actually make some calls.