View Full Version : Nextel????

rookcnu
06-03-2007, 04:23 AM
I actually posted this question a few months ago with no response,... so I am going to try again to see if anyone has heard anything new.

When is Nextel going to come out with a pocket pc phone edition that also has the Direct Connect feature?

I am tired of carrying around a Blackberry for work and a ppc phone edition for everything else. The only reason I carry the Blackberry is for the Direct Connect feature - which I must have for work.

Mountain343
06-08-2007, 06:04 AM
What about the i930? Smartphone 2003 OS and all of the usual Nextel Walkie Talkie functions

rookcnu
06-08-2007, 10:22 AM
Not a pocket pc phone,... it's a smartphone.

I need the touch screen.

Thanks for answering the post, though!

Mountain343
06-08-2007, 11:05 AM
I hate to say it but Nextel/iden is pretty much no more. The i880 was considered by many to be the last hurrah for Nextel, and if you go to their webpage you'll see almost all of the nextel phones are gone now.

I have been using Nextel for many years now since they were one of the first to have a FULL gps chip in their phones, not just A-Gps, that also allowed NMEA out.

While I never used the direct connect feature, I know its a major selling point for many. Sprints version (which is not compatible with nextels) is Qchat I beleive. Pretty soon there will be no iden network and everyone will be on Sprints, but until then, you're pretty much caught in the transitional period.

rookcnu
08-23-2007, 02:54 AM
Maybe some light at the end of the tunnel???

http://mobileburn.com/pressrelease.jsp?Id=3583&source=ARCHIVE

This article seems to indicate that Sprint - who has pocket pc phones - is going to start using the Nextel Direct Connect feature. However, it does not specifically mention pocket pc phones.

Anyone know anything about this?

I just want a ppc phone with DC, so I can get rid of my two phone set up (Cingular 8125/Blackberry 7520).

Brad Adrian
08-23-2007, 09:34 PM
I don't know about what new hardware might be available by next year, but Sprint's current Phone Editions do NOT support push-to-talk.