View Full Version : Active Sync over WLAN

Vaughan_Davies
06-02-2007, 05:11 PM
I just got my wife an iPAQ for her birthday. I found an old thread about the WLAN capability being removed from Active Synch 4. Is it still impossible? Has the feature been reinstated? Or is there a workaround of some kind?

Thanks

Vaughan

Sven Johannsen
06-02-2007, 05:39 PM
I just got my wife an iPAQ for her birthday. Good for you.
I found an old thread about the WLAN capability being removed from Active Synch 4. Yup
Is it still impossible? Yup
Has the feature been reinstated? Nope
Or is there a workaround of some kind? Nope, unless you count BT as a workaround.

You can sync over WiFi to an Exchange Server, but that is not to Outlook on the desktop via AS, it is a direct connection to the server.

P.S. If it is a new iPAQ with WM5 or 6, then you are stuck with AS4 or better. If the device has WM2003(SE) then you could scrounge up a copy of AS3.8 that supports WiFi sync.

Vaughan_Davies
06-02-2007, 07:48 PM
Bummer...

Thanks Sven

Cybrid
06-03-2007, 09:12 AM
I don't know if this would help...
www.finchsync.com an HTTP sync beta that syncs to Mozilla apps like Thunderbird...YMMV, Caveat Emptor.

tbernstein
06-30-2007, 10:04 PM
I came back to this site just so that I could find out why my Acer PPC won't synch through the WiFi.
Well there's my answer.
Next question.
Why did they do that? Did they have a rationale ( or even a rational reason).

Sven Johannsen
07-04-2007, 05:28 AM
The answer is/was simply security concerns. The protocol used by the AS sync process was totally in the clear. Probably not a big deal for an individual syncing to their desktop on their home network, but a serious concern for business implementations when joe traveler syncs from the free coffee house over the open internet to the office PC he left on so he could. Server Sync to an Exchange Server uses a totally different and secure protocol.

Business customers are important to MS. So options are to provide an option to turn on/off WiFi sync...not well received by corporate security types. If users can be unsecure, they typically will. Redesign AS altogether...trade this off over other features and OS updates...WiFi sync lost. Easiest to eliminate capability. So, there you go.

poisonz
07-08-2007, 07:07 AM
Hi, Im new here and I just saw this topic.
I think I have purchase a AS 3.5 and I may qualify for update to 3.8. I have to call to find out.
The question is I have a MDA it come with AS 4.1. Do you think by installing the AS 3.8 will work or the phone will only work with AS4.1? If just a driver issue. I think I can expand the software to get drivers out.
I dont really need a WiFi sync because I dont sync much. To be able to sync via WiFi is some cool.. right?

Cybrid
07-08-2007, 08:53 PM
Hi, Im new here and I just saw this topic.
I think I have purchase a AS 3.5 and I may qualify for update to 3.8. I have to call to find out.
The question is I have a MDA it come with AS 4.1. Do you think by installing the AS 3.8 will work or the phone will only work with AS4.1? If just a driver issue. I think I can expand the software to get drivers out.
I dont really need a WiFi sync because I dont sync much. To be able to sync via WiFi is some cool.. right?AS is free, downloadable. Windows Mobile 5 device need 4.x or higher.