View Full Version : iGuidance v4.0 or Tomtom Nav. 6?

heavymetal_ben
05-27-2007, 06:12 PM
I have recently read the PocketPC Magazine’s article “Nominees for 2005-2006 best GPS software” (I chose those years because there was not much to offer as far as products go in ‘06 or ‘07) and I am desperately trying to make up my mind between the two products I have narrowed it down to in my quest for GPS for pocket pc (Windows Mobile 5.0). I am struggling to choose between TOMTOM Navigator 6 or Navteq’s iGuidance.

Naturally, TOMTOM is a well known name, but there do not seem to be that many reviews out for it, as it is a “relatively” new product; and I don’t know how much it has improved from its predecessor Navigator 5. However, in the said magazine’s review, it seemed like iGuidance v3.0 had more features to offer than Navigator 5 (e.g. side of street destination is on, vocalization of dist. until next turn, etc).

The point I am trying to get to is, should I wait for iGuidance v4.0, or should I go ahead and buy Navigator 6? I hope there will be no bias in your decision… Thank You.

xdalaw
05-28-2007, 01:47 PM
I own and use them both on my WM5 Treo 700Wx. I have used iGuidance for a couple of versions, but this is my first time with TomTom.

Bottom line, I like them both.

My usage, however, is pretty limited. I live in New England, and don't travel too far outside of that region. But, both packages do provide full USA (plus) maps if needed.

I really like the soft-key support in TomTom. I also prefer it's 3-d view to that of iGuidance.

I believe the iGuidance maps might be a little newer, but v6 of TT is not far behind.

For me, having a small square screen, iGuidance shows more map and less text/data, which sometimes is helpful.

If I needed to choose just one, however, I'd probably opt for this version of TT for the soft-keys and one-handed operation, but once the next iGuidance comes out (which I assume will have soft-key support), then I really would have a hard time choosing.

Just my 2 cents.

heavymetal_ben
05-28-2007, 07:07 PM
Thank you very much for your reply. I don't know when the next version of iGuidance is coming out, but I won't need either of them for at least another month yet. I am going to do some digging and try to get an approximation on the release date of the next version of iGuidance.
When the time comes, at least I know either way I'll be getting a good product, thank you.

xdalaw
05-28-2007, 08:38 PM
No problem. Good luck.

One other TT thing I forgot to mention that I like. It automatically turns on BT if it's not already on, when you start the program. It also turns it off when you're done.

Not a huge thing, but just a little bit easier when you're driving or only using one hand.