View Full Version : Newbie Question - Running software from SD cards Specifically Spb Backup

Kaaeed
05-23-2007, 03:02 PM
Hi Everyone

I have just migrated from Palm OS (after 7 yrs) so please be gentle with me. I am using a WM5 T-Mobile Vario II (aka Orange SPV M3100 aka HTC TyTN)

Some programs run on SD cards. What is the impact of this (apart from the obvious in terms of device memory) saving?

What types of applications best run on sd?

What issues are there to consider when deciding which applications to put on SD and which to put on the device.

Specific issue I have is with Spb Backup. I would (naively) have this on my (micro) sd card as I would rarely intervene its operation as I plan to have it on scheduled daily backup?

Is my thinking correct

Thanks in advance.

Kaaeed

Mark Kenepp
05-23-2007, 05:21 PM
I think that the rule of thumb is that anything that runs at startup (i.e. today plugins) should be installed on the main storage memory, everything else can be installed to external storage (i.e. removable media).

I don't see why Spb Backup would have problems running if installed to the SD card.

I installed Spb Backup to my internal memory so that I can back up to any removable media I have inserted in my handheld. I also keep the micro sd card I use for backups separate from my handheld with the idea that if something happens to the handheld, the backup will still be intact.

Brad Adrian
05-23-2007, 06:36 PM
I agree. My Wizard has very little internal memory to spare, so I've installed virtually everything onto a memory card (including Spb Backup). The only things I've got in internal memory are:

Spb Pocket Plus (must be installed to internal memory)
Calligrapher
AutoCorrector

As an added 2 cents' worth, I'd make sure you choose the option in Spb Backup that executable backups be created. It has saved my sanity more than once (and yes, Sven, I do have some sanity left to save!).

Kaaeed
05-23-2007, 07:38 PM
Thanks guys for the input so far

Is there a minimum / optimum amount of memory which I should have on the PDA if it is running WM5?