View Full Version : Purge/edit the word completion dictionary

retdean
05-14-2007, 03:22 PM
I have been using my Windows Mobile version 5 a lot and the spell completion feature has built up a lot of junk in the word completion dictionary that I would like to get rid of.

Is there a simple way to do this? I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Darius Wey
05-15-2007, 06:50 AM
Welcome to Pocket PC Thoughts.

Your device's \Windows directory may contain a system file called dyncompdict.dat. Locate this file using your computer's file explorer, or a third-party file browser on your device (such as Resco File Explorer, ensuring that it's been set to reveal all system/ROM files), and then open it in a text editor. Clear its contents, save it, and then soft-reset to see the changes.

Fortunately, Windows Mobile 6 devices now include a handy "Clear Stored Entries" button in the Word Completion tab of the Input applet. If the device you're using is eligible for a Windows Mobile 6 upgrade, you should consider it.

coolabah
05-15-2007, 11:32 AM
I have been using my Windows Mobile version 5 a lot and the spell completion feature has built up a lot of junk in the word completion dictionary that I would like to get rid of.

Is there a simple way to do this? I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

or there is a freeware dictionary editor program available which I use and I think also runs under WM5 (I have 2003SE)
http://www.mobilitynews.net/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=1262

buzzard
05-30-2007, 11:21 AM
How do you add words to the word completion list (keyboard option) ? I've modified the dictionary as described above but words on that spellchecker list don't appear on the suggested word list.

buzzard
05-30-2007, 06:28 PM
Let me be more specific with my question. I followed the directions above and have updated the dyncompdict.dat file and one of the words on the list is my forum name above, "buzzard". Whenever I type that word on my PPC such as on a mobile Word document I never see it as an option on the word completion list that pops up and that's my question....is the word completion list contained in a different file than dyncompdict.dat ?

Menneisyys
06-03-2007, 11:46 AM
Let me be more specific with my question. I followed the directions above and have updated the dyncompdict.dat file and one of the words on the list is my forum name above, "buzzard". Whenever I type that word on my PPC such as on a mobile Word document I never see it as an option on the word completion list that pops up and that's my question....is the word completion list contained in a different file than dyncompdict.dat ?

It shoudl be. Also see http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=365548 for a complete reference - make sure you follow he links to other threads inside.

buzzard
06-03-2007, 07:19 PM
Thanks for the information. I read all of it including the links and decided that if the words aren't there, that's OK. I do not have the knowledge or capability to attempt to make these changes.

Jean Paul
06-05-2007, 12:55 PM
Welcome to Pocket PC Thoughts.

Your device's \Windows directory may contain a system file called dyncompdict.dat. Locate this file using your computer's file explorer, or a third-party file browser on your device (such as Resco File Explorer, ensuring that it's been set to reveal all system/ROM files), and then open it in a text editor. Clear its contents, save it, and then soft-reset to see the changes.

Fortunately, Windows Mobile 6 devices now include a handy "Clear Stored Entries" button in the Word Completion tab of the Input applet. If the device you're using is eligible for a Windows Mobile 6 upgrade, you should consider it.

Hi, I am a new user of PPC, thus I would like to seek advices of the above matter. I tried to open the dyncompdict.dat using text editor as mentioned by you, but I failed to do so.

Could you please teach me a step-by-step of how to edit the file?

Darius Wey
06-05-2007, 01:13 PM
Hi, I am a new user of PPC, thus I would like to seek advices of the above matter. I tried to open the dyncompdict.dat using text editor as mentioned by you, but I failed to do so.

Could you please provide more details? Which text editor are you using?

Jean Paul
06-05-2007, 01:34 PM
Hmm.. Sorry. I didn't install any programmes at all. I thought the text editor you mentioned is Notepad or Word Mobile.

I have two enquiries.

1. What program do I need to install?
2. If I delete the content of the file as mentioned, does it mean that the default suggestions (word completion) would be deleted as well?

Darius Wey
06-05-2007, 05:18 PM
1. What program do I need to install?

Well, if you plan to do all this from your mobile device, Word Mobile will suffice. But you may have to modify the read-only permissions of dyncompdict.dat in order to overwrite it. Try Spb Pocket Plus' File Explorer enhancement or Resco Explorer to achieve that. Personally, I prefer the latter. You can then use it to perform an "Open With..." command and have dyncompdict.dat launch in Word Mobile.

2. If I delete the content of the file as mentioned, does it mean that the default suggestions (word completion) would be deleted as well?

No, only your custom entries will be purged.

Jean Paul
06-07-2007, 01:32 AM
Thanks for your reply! It has enlightened me alot.

Do you have any suggestions on the finding of Resco File Explorer as I can't find on the Internet?

Darius Wey
06-07-2007, 05:26 AM
Do you have any suggestions on the finding of Resco File Explorer as I can't find on the Internet?

My bad. I should have provided you with a link. Here you go. :)

http://resco.net/pocketpc/explorer/default.asp