View Full Version : Dell Axim as a first palmtop

theriel
05-10-2007, 07:54 PM
Hello! I am thinking about buying my first palmtop and, having read some sites, I thought about Dell Axim. I wanted to have your opinion about it - what kind of problem do you usually have and whether you would change your palmtop to something else or not?

I am looking for something for:
-navigation with GPS by BT (I have heard that this solution is more effective, there are less problems with it)
-www/e-mails
-organizer (calendar, todo list)
-dictionaries (are there good Spanish, English, German dictionaries? might be monolingual)

Another questions concerning Dell Axim:
-would you buy Dell Axim x50v instead of x51v ? I have heard that WM 2003 is better than 2005
-are the differences between Dell Axim 51 models really significant? I mean, is it possible to feel them?
-if I decide to buy a palmtop in Germany, is it possible to change the language into English? I mean, totally, to make it work as a palmtop bought in England, even after doing hard reset ?

Thank you very much for your help!

Sven Johannsen
05-11-2007, 05:14 AM
First, you do need to understand that Dell is getting out of the Windows Mobile PDA business. To bad, as they made very good, reasonably priced devices.

I would go with the 51 if you can find it, over the 50, as it is newer and more likely to have third party support longer. The reviews of 51s are every bit as good as 50s. Stay away from any 50s upgraded to WM5, as they didn't fair too well.

Go for the v models. the VGA screen is a significant enhancement over the QVGA screens.

They will do all you indicated you wanted to do quite effectively.

Do not get a unit in a language you do not want. There is really no good way to change it. If you want an English version, buy that.

For your first PDA, this may seem strange advice, but you might want to take a look at converged devices, those that have a PDA and phone. That seems to be the current trend, and there are phones that have PDA functions (SmartPhones) and PDAs that have Phone functions, (Pocket PC Phone Editions). The names of these things have changed, but if you are looking at year or two old devices, that would be accurate. I don't really like it, but the trend is that 'just' PDAs are dying. That is my guess why Dell is bowing out. To be in a converged market, Dell would have to get in bed with cell carriers, and I don't think that fits their vision.

Nurhisham Hussein
05-11-2007, 05:31 AM
I'd echo what Sven said - there's no legal way to change the language on your device with WM2003 and WM5. The x51v is very good value for money, and if a pure PDA is your choice, I'd get it while Dell still has stocks - no more will be made.

And welcome to PPCT!

theriel
05-11-2007, 04:20 PM
Maybe it is not proper to ask such a question on the Dell Pocket subforum, however, hoping for your being objective -> knowing the fact that Dell is not to be continued, would you still recommend it as the best choice?

And by the way - are there significant differences between phone+palm and solo palm solutions? I mean, do I lose much of e.g. performance, choosing the hybrid solution ? Because there must be some compromise in such choice... What not-extremely-expensive hybrid solutions would you recommend? I have heard about MDA Compact III...

Targaid
08-04-2007, 11:24 AM
Objectivity isn't something I can truly offer you as I've never used a non-Axim PPC. I came to them from Palm devices and can tell you that my Palms were all rather easier to use and there was a wider range of third-party software. However, I'd not go back now.

My X50v has been reliable, and a truly cracking device. I've just this morning taken delivery of a new X51v solely because I want one there for when the other one dies.

Directly comparing the two I'd say there are definitely things I don't like about the new version of the OS. "Where's the 'new' button gone?" being one, and "Aren't those 'smart buttons' on the tool bar really stupid?" The latter look like an attempt to converge with phone edition devices, but they're needed on a phone, not a PDA. However, if you're used to a mobile phone and have never had a PDA then you might find them useful shortcuts. The missing 'new' button is a total pain as it will slow up all of my main activities on the PDA.

I'd heartily recommend an Axim. My gripes are with the OS and will be there on any machine running the software. The machines themselves are great to look at, great to hold and work very, very well. I'm also one of the few who really thinks that convergent devices aren't teh be-all & end-all of the market. I like having a small phone which doesn't do lots of stuff. When I go out socially I do not need to take my PDA and all the extra features it offers and the attendant bulk those features require. IMHO convergent devices are mainly for work-related PDA users who want to cut down on the number of devices that they need. Which is fair enough. Most of the rest would likely not need all those feature all the time.

In short, get one whilst you can!