View Full Version : Why Can't Windows Mobile Phones Record Phone Calls?

Jason Dunn
05-07-2007, 05:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.pocketpcmag.com/blogs/index.php?blog=3&p=1931&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1' target='_blank'>http://www.pocketpcmag.com/blogs/in...1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1</a><br /><br /></div><i>"I've long been looking for a solution to record my phone calls (for archiving for my electronic diary database - it's just fun to listen to, say, calls you've made twenty years ago. Yeah, I've archived my calls back even then - then, onto audio tapes, with my self-built automatic call recorder circuitry and automatic tape recorder controller). As you may already know, except for some (in Europe / the States, rare, Asia-only Gigabyte models) NONE of the current Windows Mobile Pocket PC's (and only some MS Smartphone models) support this. It's just not possible to record the other party, let alone directly saving the GSM-based encoded stream to greatly preserve sound quality while keeping the same low speed (without recompressing it), just like how the vast majority of non-Windows Mobile-based call recorders do on both Symbian and in many "dumb" phones like the Sony-Ericsson t68i and the t610.</i><br /><br />Werner Ruotsalainen, better known in the Windows Mobile world as "Menneisyys", has posted an article talking asking the question why Windows Mobile is the only phone OS that doesn't allow for easy phone conversation recording. I've heard the issue raised at MVP Summit meetings and Mobius events, and the answer is always the same: legal reasons. Since recording a phone conversation isn't something I've needed to do every often, I honestly never gave it much thought. <br /><br />Ruotsalainen's article has made me re-think this stance: if Symbian phones can do this task, and they're being sold in great numbers in the USA, then how much of a legal issue can this really be? And if 38 states allow it without consent, and only 12 do not, clearly the majority of the country supports this scenario. Windows Mobile phones are sold all over the world of course, so even if the issue is United States law, why wouldn't Microsoft include basic support that the USA carriers would just exclude? On-device voice mail is also a feature I've seen on other device that Windows Mobile lacks - and it never occurred to me until now that the reason we don't have it is because of this call recording issue.

bradray
05-07-2007, 05:20 PM
The original Ipaq Phone didn't have this limitation. I used it all the time while I was in the car to record someone giving me a phone number. I still do the same thing now, but now I have to repeat their number back to them as it only records my half of the conversation.

chscof
05-07-2007, 05:51 PM
i record my voicemail by simply opening a new note then activating the record feature in notes. The note is automatically dated and subject line is filled in. This is a handy way to save voicemail to the ppc then take my time writing down #'s and names from the call. It would obviously work for two way convo as well.

Menneisyys
05-07-2007, 06:20 PM
It would obviously work for two way convo as well.

Unfortunately, it won't really work because it's the hardware / the API that makes this impossible on all (except the Gigabyte) current Pocket PC and most Smartphone phones.

Menneisyys
05-07-2007, 06:24 PM
BTW, don't forget a very important thing before voting: the lack of the access to the incoming sound stream makes it (also) impossible to implement a local (non-operator-side) answering machine software.

The latter is also very common (and works just great) on Symbian machines.

Think of it: you have all your incoming calls' automatic recordings on your phone and you don't need to waste time / money on dialing in to your operator-side voicemail mailboxes to listen to them. A LOT easier / cleaner / faster / cheaper this way.

btrcp2000
05-07-2007, 07:05 PM
maybe i don't understand the true goal of what you are discussing here, but this works just fine on my sprint ppc6700 if i just hit the "record note" button during the call. I had to use it to get a segment of a conference call emailed to my boss, and can confirm it is two-way, because it also picked up every little sound i heard in my office while listening to the conference call. i had to hide in a broom closet to avoid the background noise. It created an audio file that was pulled into outlook notes during my next active sync, and I emailed it from there.

T-Will
05-07-2007, 07:09 PM
Anyone know where the record button is on my Dash? :? :lol:

isajoo
05-07-2007, 07:31 PM
woohoo! finally a reason not to converg. to ppcpe...i have a t610 and a ppc, although i have never used the record feature, atleast i can tell people thats why i am not converging. lol

dam, u people must be either getting sued or sueing a lot of people, i would not wanna talk to u. lol

Menneisyys
05-07-2007, 07:33 PM

Use PMRecorder or Resco Audio Recorder 4, they automatically record your calls (if you configure them to do so).

If you don't want / need automatic recording, use an audio recorder that supports button-based recording. For this task, I also recommend Resco Audio Recorder 4 - its one-button recording is clearly the best now - and starts up much faste rthan any of the comparable alternatives (no as fast as ythe built-in Notes though).

Menneisyys
05-07-2007, 07:36 PM
dam, u people must be either getting sued or sueing a lot of people, i would not wanna talk to u. lol

I do think archiving your calls with your beloved / relatives / children is REALLY nice. I try to do it in a daily basis (with they knowing this, of course - otherwise, I wouldn't publicly admit this in an article). It's REALLY fun listen to these recordings (much) later, particularly together with them.

T-Will
05-07-2007, 07:42 PM

Use PMRecorder or Resco Audio Recorder 4, they automatically record your calls (if you configure them to do so).

If you don't want / need automatic recording, use an audio recorder that supports button-based recording. For this task, I also recommend Resco Audio Recorder 4 - its one-button recording is clearly the best now - and starts up much faste rthan any of the comparable alternatives (no as fast as ythe built-in Notes though).

Cool thanks, I actually probably wouldn't need this right now, but it sounds like it may be handy in the future.

Menneisyys
05-07-2007, 07:44 PM
maybe i don't understand the true goal of what you are discussing here, but this works just fine on my sprint ppc6700 if i just hit the "record note" button during the call. I had to use it to get a segment of a conference call emailed to my boss, and can confirm it is two-way, because it also picked up every little sound i heard in my office while listening to the conference call. i had to hide in a broom closet to avoid the background noise. It created an audio file that was pulled into outlook notes during my next active sync, and I emailed it from there.

The problem lies in the inability to correctly record the other party as the recorder doesn't directly tap into the incoming sound stream but uses the built-in mike in the phone to (try) to record the other partty. This is pretty close to impossible if you don't use the phone in speakerphone mode to turn up the volume of the other party.

Just compare the recording quality of any WM-based phone incapable of recording to any Nokia (Symbian) phone or the Sony - Ericsson t68i / t610 and you'll see the vast quality (or, in many cases, even intelligibility - in most cases, when you don't use the speakerphone, you will have a hard time understanding what the other party said) difference.

aupetdoc1
05-07-2007, 08:55 PM
I have a Treo700w and I can record calls ok. While in a cal select "menu" then "add memo" then when notes is launched just select "menu" then "voice recorder toolbar" and select the record button. Is that what your wanting to do? Records both ends of conversation.

Menneisyys
05-07-2007, 09:22 PM
I have a Treo700w and I can record calls ok. While in a cal select "menu" then "add memo" then when notes is launched just select "menu" then "voice recorder toolbar" and select the record button. Is that what your wanting to do? Records both ends of conversation.

Are you sure it works OK? Most people (and the developers of some phone recorder applications; I think it was the PVR app) reported the WM Treos (as opposed to the Palm OS ones, which do have direct recording capabilities) can't record the other party directly, either - only via the mike.

That is, what you hear is indirect recording. It kinda works if you're listening to the other party using the speakerphone (or using the phone in an otherwise quiet environment), but I'm absolutely sure you won't really hear it if you record the conversation in a noisy street.

A device (t610, Symbian phones etc) that allows direct recording won't have any problem in the latter case either - they record the incoming stream directly, as an AMR file, without introducing any other quality degradation.

seaflipper
05-07-2007, 10:33 PM
From the original article:

Twelve states require, under most circumstances, the consent of all parties to a conversation. Those jurisdictions are California, Connecticut, Florida, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Montana, Nevada, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania and Washington. Be aware that you will sometimes hear these referred to inaccurately as "two-party consent" laws. If there are more than two people involved in the conversation, all must consent to the taping.""

Regardless that 38 states allow you to record a call without the other parties consent, Microsoft is based in the state of Washington where it is illegal.

I wonder if that has a bigger impact on this than just that it is illegal in some states?

Menneisyys
05-08-2007, 04:41 AM
From the original article:

Twelve states require, under most circumstances, the consent of all parties to a conversation. Those jurisdictions are California, Connecticut, Florida, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Montana, Nevada, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania and Washington. Be aware that you will sometimes hear these referred to inaccurately as "two-party consent" laws. If there are more than two people involved in the conversation, all must consent to the taping.""

Regardless that 38 states allow you to record a call without the other parties consent, Microsoft is based in the state of Washington where it is illegal.

I wonder if that has a bigger impact on this than just that it is illegal in some states?

It might be. Hope that the results of the voting (and the fact that, in addition to many "dumb" models (t610 etc), Symbian DOES flawless, and, on many Nokia / Sony-Ericsson models, beep-less) will make Microsoft rethink their strategy.

Now, I need to use a dumb or a Symbian phone to record my calls with my wife or my relatives (those are the calls I'm always archiving). It's really bad we aren't allowed to a make calls even if the other party does know a recording is in progress.

hx2210
05-08-2007, 08:06 AM
Another device you can add the ABLE list is the O2 XDA Stealth. It has an Answering Machine app installed in the ROM and it works really well. I haven't as yet tried recording an actual conversation though, but from what I have read that would be the same thing the Answering Machine app does.

the_very
05-08-2007, 10:36 AM
hx2210

Stealth is made by gigabyte, too.

Menneisyys

Please note that touchscreen symbian devices from SE can't record calls, too, at least P800 as I remember.

All

But why did you forget about Asus P525 and P535 - they can record voice calls perfectly - even with built-in "notes" app.

Menneisyys
05-08-2007, 11:59 AM
Please note that touchscreen symbian devices from SE can't record calls, too, at least P800 as I remember.

Thanks - I've only had the chance to test (some) Nokia Symbian phones in this respect.

burtcom
05-08-2007, 11:31 PM
See post at http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=55093 for details.

(I tried it myself, and it seems to work)

j.moghisi
05-08-2007, 11:43 PM
but I can already record my phone calls?

Resco Audio Recorder
Notes/Record (on some WM2003SE phones)
SoftTrends LivePVR
...and a few others

cya

Menneisyys
05-09-2007, 03:01 AM
but I can already record my phone calls?

Resco Audio Recorder
Notes/Record (on some WM2003SE phones)
SoftTrends LivePVR
...and a few others

cya

You can not in adequate quality (particularly if you use a Bluetooth or a wired headset - then, you won't hear anything of the other party), unless you have one of the (very) few and (very) rare PPC models that can (meaning no HTC-manufactured Pocket PC's but Gigabytes, Asus and Eten devices).

This problem has nothing to do with the software part (the actual application used to record calls) - it's the hardware that makes it impossible to record calls (and, of course, make the device work as an answering machine while you aren't able to answer calls).

dreamtheater39
05-09-2007, 07:17 AM
Dum*ss microsoft.

the_very
05-17-2007, 10:55 AM
Menneisyys

meaning no HTC-manufactured Pocket PC's but Gigabytes, Asus and Eten devices

so, why not to say honestly - Why Can't HTC Mobile Phones Record Phone Calls?

Menneisyys
05-17-2007, 11:45 AM
Menneisyys

meaning no HTC-manufactured Pocket PC's but Gigabytes, Asus and Eten devices

so, why not to say honestly - Why Can't HTC Mobile Phones Record Phone Calls?

Because it's not only HTC that is affected, but also, for example, several (new) o2 (eveyrthing but the brand new Exec) models, Fujitsu-Siemens' models etc.