View Full Version : Microsoft Buys Fuel Cells... For Zune?

Damion Chaplin
04-16-2007, 11:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/index.cfm?newsid=9004' target='_blank'>http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/index.cfm?newsid=9004</a><br /><br /></div><p><em>&quot;A New York-based company developing fuel cells for consumer electronics devices says it has started commercial production of a fuel cell-based recharger for Microsoft. Medis Technologies produced the first Microsoft-branded rechargers on Friday, according to its chief executive, Robert Lifton. &quot;It's the first commercial sale for our company and we believe the first commercial sale in quantity for the industry,&quot; he said. Fuel cells produce electricity through a chemical reaction, typically involving methanol, although Medis says its devices use a proprietary alkaline fuel. One day researchers hope to fit fuel cells inside products like mobile phones and music players, enabling the devices to be recharged in much the same way a lighter is replenished with a squirt of fuel. Fuel cells aren't yet small enough to be integrated inside products, however, so their first use is coming as rechargers offering the ability to replenish a dead battery when the user is away from an electrical socket. The product Medis is supplying to Microsoft is just such a device.&quot;</em></p><p>Well, we've been hearing about them for years, and now it seems fuel cells may be closer than ever to realization.&nbsp; With Microsoft buying an undisclosed amount of fuel cell chargers from Medis, a fuel cell Zune charger seems like a logical application.&nbsp; I could also see them charging pocket PCs and even Xbox controllers.&nbsp; However, I have one problem with fuel cells:&nbsp; If the airlines won't even let me on board with a cigarette lighter, what are the odds they'd let me on with a fuel cell?&nbsp; Pretty slim.&nbsp; I also really wouldn't enjoy refilling it with methanol when necessary.&nbsp; To use another lighter analogy, there's a reason why disposable lighters outsell refillable ones 20 to 1:&nbsp; People don't want to refill them.&nbsp; They want to use 'em up and throw 'em away, adding&nbsp;needless mass to our landfills.&nbsp; So while fuel cells may seem like a godsend to some, they seem like more trouble than they're worth to others.&nbsp; I'd much rather carry a rechargeable battery&nbsp;charger or use some foresight and keep my stuff charged.&nbsp; But that's just me.&nbsp; ;-)</p>

tbird
04-17-2007, 07:19 AM
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt1 id=td_post_3436 vAlign=top width="87%" style?padding:3px?>(From Damion)
However, I have one problem with fuel cells: If the airlines won't even let me on board with a cigarette lighter, what are the odds they'd let me on with a fuel cell? Pretty slim. I also really wouldn't enjoy refilling it with methanol when necessary. To use another lighter analogy, there's a reason why disposable lighters outsell refillable ones 20 to 1: People don't want to refill them. They want to use 'em up and throw 'em away, adding needless mass to our landfills. So while fuel cells may seem like a godsend to some, they seem like more trouble than they're worth to others. I'd much rather carry a rechargeable battery charger or use some foresight and keep my stuff charged. But that's just me. ;-)

I agree, but kudos to M/S for at least thinking "green" and then putting $$ down to invest in our future.
On second thought........M/S is trying to get in on the ground floor, so they can control it when the rest of the world comes around!
:D , this of course is just my opinion.

<!-- / message --><!-- message, attachments, sig -->

</TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt2 vAlign=top></TD><TD noWrap></TD><TD class=alt1 vAlign=top><!-- controls -->

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

LPD
04-17-2007, 10:30 PM
Microsoft is NOT planning fule cell rechargers for the Zune or any MS product. They purchased a "small amount" of these to give away for free at an upcoming event. This was reported by MarketWatch who was quoting a MS spokesperson, who added that Microsoft is "not planning to sell them to consumers".

Perhaps after seeing the buzz this created they should rethink it.

Jason Dunn
04-17-2007, 11:53 PM
Did you copy and paste your post from another message? It has strange formatting and code in it...it's best to just use the normal posting box if possible. Thanks. :-)

I agree, but kudos to M/S for at least thinking "green" and then putting $$ down to invest in our future.

I'm not so sure how "green" these fuel cells are - the Medis fuel cells are actually not refillable, so you use them then toss them out...so, really, they're actually worse than an normal external battery pack that you might get a couple of years of use out of.

Jason Dunn
04-17-2007, 11:54 PM
Microsoft is NOT planning fule cell rechargers for the Zune or any MS product.

Gee, don't you just love how the Internet twists information? :D

tbird
04-18-2007, 06:23 AM
Did you copy and paste your post from another message? It has strange formatting and code in it...it's best to just use the normal posting box if possible. Thanks. :-)

Sorry I just did a cut and paste off of the orginal post.
After I posted I realized that I probably shouldnt have done that, cause it looked a little weird.

Jason Dunn
04-18-2007, 05:03 PM
Sorry I just did a cut and paste off of the orginal post.
After I posted I realized that I probably shouldnt have done that, cause it looked a little weird.

No worries. That's what the Quote button is for though. :D If you click that it will start a reply with the message quoted, then you trim it down to quote the part you want to reply to, and that's that.