View Full Version : Worldwide Pocket PC Phone?

Philip Colmer
04-27-2007, 03:47 PM
We are seriously considering moving to Windows Mobile and away from BlackBerry. Then Verizon announces it is going to introduce the BlackBerry 8830 which supports both CDMA and GSM.

Are there any Windows Mobile devices that can perform the same network compatability tricks as the 8830?

Alternatively, which models have a quad-GSM radio?

Thanks.

--Philip

ADBrown
04-27-2007, 06:41 PM
Are there any Windows Mobile devices that can perform the same network compatability tricks as the 8830?

None that I'm aware of will run on both Verizon and GSM networks.

Alternatively, which models have a quad-GSM radio?

Almost all GSM Pocket PC phones and Smartphones are quad-band. You can check a specific model at someplace like Phonescoop.com, but otherwise the only models I'm aware of that aren't are a couple like the HTC MTeor, and HTC Universal (i-mate JASJAR, XDA Exec).

networkguy
05-01-2007, 11:33 PM
I suppose it depends on what your world looks like.

I am UK based and for the last year owned and run an iMate Jamin. In that time I have travelled throughout the UK, Europe, Japan and the US.

My phone has ALWAYS worked in that I can get off a plane, switch the phone on, get a signal, get a welcome to xxxxx text message and make a call.

Indeed once you move outside of the US, CDMA seems almost unheard of (except in Iraq and Afganistan but look who are rebuilding). So maybe if the whole "world" thing is important to you, you need to look at going with a phone system that most of the world uses which will also work in the US but maybe not with your current provider.