View Full Version : Video of the HTC Shift and Intel Menlow Device

Darius Wey
04-27-2007, 05:25 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://jkkmobile.blogspot.com/2007/04/steve-ballmer-with-htc-shift.html' target='_blank'>http://jkkmobile.blogspot.com/2007/...-htc-shift.html</a><br /><br /></div><object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XIaH0RuWG7M"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XIaH0RuWG7M" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object><br /><br />Here's a neat video of Steve Ballmer showing off the HTC Shift. While a low-res video isn't the best evidence to work with, the device does seem rather thin and the display amply bright. Yes, we all want one. All we're waiting for is a price. Enlighten us, HTC! And while we're on the topic of ultra mobile devices, do check out <a href="http://blogs.intel.com/technology/2007/04/perspective_from_inside_intel.html">this video</a> of one of the recently announced Menlow devices. Pocket PCs, as we know them today, are definitely under threat, and we may very well see Windows Mobile become truly Smartphone-oriented in the years to come.

IpaqMan2
04-27-2007, 09:40 AM
" Pocket PCs, as we know them today, are definitely under threat, and we may very well see Windows Mobile become truly Smartphone-oriented in the years to come."

This has been my thought for years now. I personally believe Microsoft is happy with Windows Mobile filling the role of Smart Phones - it doesn't cause any threat to Microsoft's Core business products (Office, Desktop OS, ect).

I welcome the move for WM to take that role completely, and for the push of UMPCs. Though I have been trying, Pocket PCs devices haven't been fulfilling my needs since for many years now, because I want it all... That is I want all my data and applications my Home PC/office PC has, with all the time and not re-sandwich that data to a mobile device, that can even be done.

Jason Dunn
04-27-2007, 06:05 PM
I can't get over how, well, stupid some of her questions are - I admire Steve for not bursting out into laughter when she asked some of them. :lol:

virain
04-27-2007, 08:47 PM
It is obvios that WM is just a transition step between regular size laptop running Full blown Windows OS and smaller devices. Just to fill the gap in the market, until technology allows to build smaller mobile devices such as HTC Shift with the same capabilites, which, I predict will get even smaller, until they fit perfectly to your pocket and palm of your hand. It doesn't mean that your 17" screen laptop will go away, but it means that you will be able to do more with device that doesn't require a "suit case " to carry around. I mean nobody complains that mobile phone is not installed in his car permanently or he doesn't have to carry a box with him anymore to make a mobile call, like it was 20 years ago :roll:

Gerard
04-27-2007, 10:38 PM
I'm curious; if WM/PPC devices are/were just a stop-gap, as you suggest, does this imply that soon-ish we will see Vista running for... say, 24hours between charges? Does it mean I'll be able to press a button, and within 5 seconds be looking at the phone number, email, appointment, or other PIM data I happen to need while in a phone call with a client? Don't we have to wait for a) a vast improvement in OS efficiency (boot times under 5seconds, not over 60seconds), and/or b), a miraculous new power supply (ie; not a REALLY long extension cord) to offer true mobile independence? I'd say 24hours of standby plus 5 hours of operation are minimums for the UMPC, before the 'stop-gap' of Windows Mobile fades from necessity for most users.

virain
04-28-2007, 10:33 AM
I'm curious; if WM/PPC devices are/were just a stop-gap, as you suggest, does this imply that soon-ish we will see Vista running for... say, 24hours between charges? Does it mean I'll be able to press a button, and within 5 seconds be looking at the phone number, email, appointment, or other PIM data I happen to need while in a phone call with a client? Don't we have to wait for a) a vast improvement in OS efficiency (boot times under 5seconds, not over 60seconds), and/or b), a miraculous new power supply (ie; not a REALLY long extension cord) to offer true mobile independence? I'd say 24hours of standby plus 5 hours of operation are minimums for the UMPC, before the 'stop-gap' of Windows Mobile fades from necessity for most users.

I would recomend you to watch this little presintation, Part 2 specially. It will answer many of your worries
http://www.microsoft.com/products/windows/products/winfamily/mobility/video/player.swf?wt_svl=10036VHa1&amp;mg_id=10036VHb1

Gerard
04-28-2007, 11:19 PM
I didn't see anything in any section of that rather pretty presentation which I might call 'news' regarding mobile Vista use. That sideshow feature on a couple of table/notebook PCs was last year's news, and so far I don't see it being included in any serious number of models. More of a freak feature, as far as most manufacuters are concerned. Of course I dearly hope that many will wake up to how cool that feature is. If a UMPC included SideShow - with at least a 3" touchscreen, and perhaps access to mail and WLAN functions, that would be a major added value for many. I'd get it, provided the rest of the UMPC made sense. Access to files on disc from SideShow would be cool too, but that's more like a dual-boot system. Too much to ask?

virain
04-29-2007, 10:32 AM
Unfortunately, manufacturers, specially those who made their name already, a.e. HP, HTC, Samsung, etc.., Are not interested in any inovations unless their product doesn't sell well enough anymore. So the first one to introduce all the cool stuff would be some upstart who needs to make a name for itself, and so far I have not seen any, have you? :?:

benyeap
04-29-2007, 03:28 PM
Why does it looks so difficult to tilt the display up at the end of the video?