View Full Version : RIM Announces Blackberry Application Suite For WM6 Devices

Ed Hansberry
04-23-2007, 10:15 AM
<a href="http://www.rim.com/news/press/2007/pr-23_04_2007-01.shtml">http://www.rim.com/news/press/2007/pr-23_04_2007-01.shtml</a><br /><br /><i>"Research In Motion (RIM) (Nasdaq: RIMM; TSX: RIM) today announced plans to expand its support for Windows Mobile®-based devices with a new software application suite that will enable devices from third-party manufacturers to benefit from the popular BlackBerry® software applications and services*. RIM plans to begin offering the new software application suite later this year for select devices based on Windows Mobile 6. Once installed, the software will provide users with a virtual BlackBerry application experience, including support for BlackBerry email, phone, calendar, address book, tasks, memos, browser, instant messaging and other applications developed for the BlackBerry platform. Devices running the BlackBerry application suite will be able to connect to BlackBerry services via BlackBerry® Enterprise Server as well as BlackBerry® Internet Service."</i><br /><br />This is an interesting turn of events. This means Windows Mobile can now connect to the two most popular push email services, Exchange and Blackberry. I am not sure why anyone would be interested in the BlackBerry internet service though. Does it offer something Pocket Internet Explorer can't?<br /><br />How many of your organizations that are running Blackberry Enterprise Server would now be interested in getting some of these new Blackberry-enabled Windows Mobile devices later this year?

aussienick
04-23-2007, 11:46 AM
This is great news! i have a Blackjack and i would love this BB suite for it!! Let's just hope it comes out for the Blackjack

Philip Colmer
04-23-2007, 11:52 AM
Jason Langridge has an interesting take on this:

http://blogs.msdn.com/jasonlan/archive/2007/04/23/rim-announce-blackberry-suite-for-windows-mobile.aspx

He thinks it will help Lotus Domino or Groupwise users as this enables them to use WM devices to remotely access their systems through the suite.

I guess the world doesn't revolve around Exchange :D

--Philip

Vincent M Ferrari
04-23-2007, 12:52 PM
I am not sure why anyone would be interested in the BlackBerry internet service though. Does it offer something Pocket Internet Explorer can't?

BlackBerry Internet Service isn't an internet provider, it's a hosted e-mail system for people that don't have an Exchange server to install BES (BlackBerry Enterprise Server) on. It's how just about every consumer BlackBerry customer connects to the service.

I am curious to see where this all goes. I'd love to have a WM6 device with good and working push e-mail and not the cobbled together mess that TM does with it now (text the phone to trigger a send / receive? UGH).

This is gonna be interesting.

cmailliard
04-23-2007, 03:18 PM
This would be nice. I have been issued a Blackberry by the .gov and hate the stupid thing. I use a Treo 750 and potentially having the ability to only carry one device would be great. The limited functionality of the Blackberry (beyond email) would never let me even consider carrying only that device. I have to have the Blackberry on me at all times even though I only get a few emails a week on it. The only thing I am unsure of is if I can update my 750V to WM6 (I haven't been keeping up to date on WM6).

inteller
04-23-2007, 06:23 PM

--Philip

not the second and third worlds anyways. :lol:

Ed Hansberry
04-24-2007, 12:43 AM

not the second and third worlds anyways. :lol:

Neither does the first world. My understanding is Lotus Notes is still the #1 email platform for business when you look at the installed base. Exchange is the #1 seller. I have no clue what the delta is and if Exchange will pass Lotus as #1 installed in 1 year or 20 years at the current rate.

aussienick
04-24-2007, 03:21 AM
1) I use a Treo 750 and potentially having the ability to only carry one device would be great.
2) The only thing I am unsure of is if I can update my 750V to WM6 (I haven't been keeping up to date on WM6).

1) Have you tried blackberry connect for the Treo 750v? This allows you to use the Blackberry data plan through the Treo (web browsing, BB emailing etc). I used this before i got a BB 8800 and it is great, it intergrates into the Outlook Mobile email program.

2) Windows Mobile 6 will be coming to the Treo 750v, probably around June