View Full Version : Piracy

dommasters
04-21-2007, 12:46 PM
There's a popular website offering every title available for Pocket PC / WM for free. Is there anything us developers can do to stop this ? If not then it is a complete waste of time and effort developing for the WM platform :cry:

ADBrown
04-21-2007, 07:13 PM
Is there anything us developers can do to stop this ?

Yes, no, and yes. You may be able to complain to the webhost or the service provider and get the specific site removed. However, that will just drive it somewhere else. Stuff like this has gone on since the very beginning of computers, and it's not going to stop any time soon. However, in the bigger picture, you can limit your losses by producing worthwhile programs at--most importantly--a reasonable price. One of the most pirated programs in existence is Photoshop, because of its unreasonable pricing structure--not only can most people not afford it, but they feel more justified due to the developer's greed. If you make programs people like, don't overprice them, and don't inflict ridiculous registration proceedures, then you have little to worry about.

dommasters
04-21-2007, 07:18 PM
This site is different to any other I have ever seen, is VERY popular and has EVERY title on it; not cracks but full downloads. Some titles updated only yesterday have had many 1000's of hits. What's worse is that the name of the site blatantly says it is offering full downloads. This isn't your average piracy stuff. It's on an industrial scale.

JesterMania
04-21-2007, 07:57 PM
This site is different to any other I have ever seen, is VERY popular and has EVERY title on it; not cracks but full downloads. Some titles updated only yesterday have had many 1000's of hits. What's worse is that the name of the site blatantly says it is offering full downloads. This isn't your average piracy stuff. It's on an industrial scale.

No, it's nothing as revolutionary as you make it sound. ADBrown is right, this stuff has been around since the beginning. If you think the particular website you are referring to is big, many people will easily point you to 10+ other websites equally as large or even larger. A piracy website having thousands of titles is not unheard of - but rather a very popular thing if one knows where to look - and I'm not even referring to the "well-known" torrent sites either.

It's frustrating sometimes when you are a developer - yes. Once again as ADBrown said, yours and everyone else's only "protection" is to make quality software at a reasonable price that people will buy. You'd actually be surprised at how many people buy software even given the amount of piracy on the internet. That's why (forgive me for going off-topic a little) I think developers should focus their efforts less on making ridiculous copy-protection/registration schemes and more on fixing bugs/developing break-through products.

xdalaw
04-22-2007, 12:44 AM
And, as a user/buyer--not a developer--I believe that the great majority of people who want software for their devices wouldn't even consider going the warez/free/crack route.

Most people understand that you developers are working very hard and have a right to be paid for that effort when you deliver a quality product at a reasonable price. It's only fair and while everyone likes free stuff, most of us operate in the real world ourselves where certain norms and ethics are necessary to avoid utter chaos.

I do think it's probably a bigger problem for games and entertainment developers though, as the group of likely users/buyers probably includes some younger and less "mature" users who also might not have the money to buy what they'd like. This is no excuse, but I'd guess it is the reality.

A certain amount of this is probably impossible to avoid. :(

dommasters
04-22-2007, 07:46 PM
I'm convinced the answer is web apps ... at some point in the future ...

Jason Dunn
04-24-2007, 02:35 AM
If not then it is a complete waste of time and effort developing for the WM platform :cry:

I can imagine how frustrated you are about this, but I'd say developing for Windows Mobile is only a waste of time if:

a) the platform continues to grow, more people are using it
b) less and less people are buying software but are instead using pirated copies

Piracy is a fact of life, as much as I'd like to stomp it all our of existence, in some ways it means that a platform is being successful: there's enough of a user base out there to WANT to pirate the software. That's no consolation for a developer who's trying to earn a living, I know...

BobbyCannon
04-25-2007, 02:23 PM
If not then it is a complete waste of time and effort developing for the WM platform :cry:

I can imagine how frustrated you are about this, but I'd say developing for Windows Mobile is only a waste of time if:

b) less and less people are buying software but are instead using pirated copies

Piracy is a fact of life, as much as I'd like to stomp it all our of existence, in some ways it means that a platform is being successful: there's enough of a user base out there to WANT to pirate the software. That's no consolation for a developer who's trying to earn a living, I know...

I agree that piracy will not go away. As a developer I am trying to focus my attention to developing good software. I do spend a little time "protecting" my software but I know if someone wants to pirate my software they will. Microsoft has billions and can't protect their software what make me think I can protect mine. :D

dommasters
06-15-2007, 11:00 AM

This site is very very different because:
1. It has FULL versions with direct links for EVERY PPC title.
2. It is risk free to access.
3. It has the latest titles within 24 hrs of release.
4. It has over 30,000 members and countless none members and many posts have 500,000 views or more.
5. It is a professional operation.
6. It is accessible from any computer.

I've dealt with piracy since the 80s but there has never been anything like this before.

dommasters
06-15-2007, 02:03 PM
I have now had all my files removed. Amazed that no other developers contacted me. They obviously don't mind giving their stuff away free within 24 hours of release :?

LegacyHH
06-16-2007, 05:23 AM
Well, there you go. One person has triumphed over Internet Piracy! :D <Just kidding of course> I have been searching all over the internet for new and interesting titles to put on my site. I admit that I'm not looking for pirated software, or hacks, but with all of the searching, and following links from one site to the next, I still have never stumbled onto a piracy site. I would dare argue that probably less than 10% of the internet community visits and downloads from piracy sites. The other thought here too is that the people that use those sites probably had no intention of buying the application anyway, so you as a developer really aren't out anything. It still sucks, but the reality is that life is on the honor system. You smack another car opening your door in a parking lot, you find a 20 on the floor at the grocery store... you know what I mean.

The other thought is that these sites are usually full of worms, viruses and spyware. So with any luck its patrons will get what they deserve.

Please feel free to review the files section of my site, and verify that I haven't mis-represented anyone's work. On that same note, your welcome to email me any demos, or freeware that you would like represented in our file site as well.

Take care,

dommasters
06-16-2007, 09:31 AM
Bring back the days when it was just a couple of warez cd's at the local car boot sale :D

LegacyHH
06-17-2007, 04:00 AM
Dommasters is showing his age! :devilboy:

Take care,

dommasters
06-17-2007, 08:06 AM
Dommasters is showing his age! :devilboy:

Take care,
Well I was dealing with piracy back in 1989 8O
Thing is you'd be amazed how far I've got fighting piracy :wink: The trick is not to be defeatist and not to give up :D