View Full Version : New member here... what model should I buy???

chetroman
04-19-2007, 04:02 AM
Hello! I just signed up tonight after a year and a half of disappointment with my iPAQ rx1955. I got it for Xmas in '05 when I started pharmacy school (pharmacy students often use drug info software on pocket PCs). I didn't use it much for the first year other than just playing around, but I had the same problem as everyone else with not being able to turn it on a few hours after use. I've recently learned about the glitch in the OS, so I downloaded the firmware update and the other thing from HP a few days ago. I no longer have trouble turning on the device, but now the iPAQ seems very SLOW, unlike before. Sometimes I try to click something and it doesn't sense it or it just can't process it. Other programs are slow too.

So, my first question is... can I fix this problem or should I just scrap the rx1955 and buy something else? I just did a hard reset and reinstalled the drug info software and the problem still remains. I'm not very tech-savvy, and my first experience with a pocket PC has been terrible, so I'm hesitant to invest any more $$ in this technology.

My next question is... what model should I buy if I do get a new one? I really like the HP design so I'm leaning toward another HP, BUT I'm worried I might get ripped off again plus I hate giving those scoundrels any more of my $$ after my last experience. I don't even feel comfortable selling my iPAQ on eBay after having such a bad experience.

So... I would greatly appreciate any help anyone could offer. I basically just want to use it for the drug software, storing a few MP3s and pictures, occasional internet access, and possibly GPS depending on how much more it would cost. Thanks!!!

Cybrid
04-19-2007, 05:18 AM
Hello! I just signed up tonight after a year and a half of disappointment with my iPAQ rx1955. I got it for Xmas in '05 when I started pharmacy school (pharmacy students often use drug info software on pocket PCs). I didn't use it much for the first year other than just playing around, but I had the same problem as everyone else with not being able to turn it on a few hours after use. I've recently learned about the glitch in the OS, so I downloaded the firmware update and the other thing from HP a few days ago. I no longer have trouble turning on the device, but now the iPAQ seems very SLOW, unlike before. Sometimes I try to click something and it doesn't sense it or it just can't process it. Other programs are slow too.

So, my first question is... can I fix this problem or should I just scrap the rx1955 and buy something else? I just did a hard reset and reinstalled the drug info software and the problem still remains. I'm not very tech-savvy, and my first experience with a pocket PC has been terrible, so I'm hesitant to invest any more $$ in this technology.

My next question is... what model should I buy if I do get a new one? I really like the HP design so I'm leaning toward another HP, BUT I'm worried I might get ripped off again plus I hate giving those scoundrels any more of my $$ after my last experience. I don't even feel comfortable selling my iPAQ on eBay after having such a bad experience.

So... I would greatly appreciate any help anyone could offer. I basically just want to use it for the drug software, storing a few MP3s and pictures, occasional internet access, and possibly GPS depending on how much more it would cost. Thanks!!!Was it updated to Windows Mobile 5?

isajoo
04-19-2007, 06:58 AM
funny thing, u mentioning ebay... i was looking at the hp 6xxx series of ppc phones. some of them come with gps built in and the specs are great. around $300-500 is really great for the features and its also a phone. the hp 1955 was basically a flop. its really more intented for calander/note taking, then any real tasks. it had a big buzz when it came out because of the low price, but then u get what u pay for. most devices u get today are much more stable and can run larger apps. definitely get something with min. 400mhz processor and nothing less then 64megs ram. the rest is all extras...wifi, bluetooth, gps, gsm, vga, high rom memory. these things are more important based on if u will actually use them.

chetroman
04-20-2007, 06:36 AM
Yes, it has Windows Mobile 5. Whats frustrating is that downloading the firmware update seems to have caused this problem. My iPAQ could run the drug software and handle basic tasks just fine before the firmware update (it just had the issues with powering on). Only after the download has it had trouble with basic tasks. I have trouble even customizing the "today" screen. It just acts like all the RAM is being drained, unlike before.

So... I hear that Dell is no longer in the pocket PC business, should I buy another HP? I'm considering the rx2790.