View Full Version : what is the size of your laptop screen?

isajoo
04-18-2007, 08:19 PM
I may be wrong, but thats what this poll is for...
It seem to me a lot of people use large(17") screen laptops and i just thought that it was a niche market...so maybe a 7" UMPC would be a good idea, compared to a 2.8"-4" pcc.

what are your thoughts and what devices do u use on a daily basis? do u actually commute with the laptop(if 17")?

i my self have a 17" laptop, but have NEVER really taken it out of my work place. even though i own a laptop bag, it just does not seem to be worth it. especially when i have a good ppc. :)

i ONLY bought the laptop because at the time it was actually around the same price as a normal specs desktop PC w/ monitor. paid $699 Canadian.

link
http://www.acer.ca/acereuro/page4.do?sp=page3&dau22.oid=16973&UserCtxParam=0&GroupCtxParam=0&dctx1=27&CountryISOCtxParam=CA&LanguageISOCtxParam=en&ctx3=-1&ctx4=Canada&crc=269621479#inu57_29208

ctmagnus
04-19-2007, 01:31 AM
I have a 12.1" lappy and I absolutely looooooooove :ppclove: it. :ppclove: :ppclove: :ppclove:

:ppclove: :ppclove:

:ppclove:

It's the same size as an 8.5x11 piece of paper, except thicker (of course). :ppclove: The only issue I have with it is that it takes a while to resume from hibernation when it's on the battery, but that's what sleep mode is for. :ppclove: :ppclove:

:hippy:

Nurhisham Hussein
04-19-2007, 02:39 AM
I'm with CTMagnus on this one - my main laptop has 12.1in screen, and weighs less than 1.5kg (3lbs). I won't even look at anything with a larger screen - I've had too many experiences of lugging huge freaking laptops around for presentations and stuff. Never again!

isajoo
04-19-2007, 06:47 AM
how is the battery life on your laptops... the few times i tried to move around mine without ac power and hardly got a full 2 hours(wifi on ofcourse)... my ppc gives me 2.5 hours(wifi on).

ctmagnus
04-19-2007, 07:54 AM
My experience with portable devices is the smaller the device, the longer the battery life. I can get ~2.5 hrs out of a charge on the notebook with Bluetooth and Wifi on, and 6+ hrs out of either mobile device, with standard batteries in each case. Of course, Wifi usage lowers the battery life of the JAMin. I suppose that's one reason that Treos don't have Wifi built in (yet).

Nurhisham Hussein
04-20-2007, 06:56 PM
On my main laptop, I can get around 2.5hrs with everything full on, and 5hrs plus with all power saving options on (processor on low, screen on the lowest setting and set to shut off after a minute, wifi off) using the standard battery. It's a Thinkpad X31 with Pentium M 1.5GHz, 1GB RAM.

ctmagnus
04-20-2007, 08:57 PM
Yegads! There is a laptop being setup in the next room that is fully TWICE AS BIG as the one I am using! I just don't understand the purpose of mega-huge giant laptops. Why not buy a desktop with a similar screen size for less?

njl2016
04-20-2007, 10:56 PM
My laptop has a 15.4" widescreen LCD (1280x800 native resolution). It's decent and I don't think I could go with anything larger. I have a backpack for it and I carry it around with me almost every day and it doesn't bother me.

Darius Wey
04-21-2007, 03:48 AM
I also have a 15.4" laptop (1920 x 1200 native resolution), which serves me well, but I'm no longer a fan of its size. My next machine will sport a smaller screen (probably 12"-13"), or I may consider picking up a UMPC.

isajoo
04-21-2007, 08:15 AM
well so far it looks like 12-13" is the sweet spot...could it be because that is about the bare min for a standard size keyboard? .....1920x1200 on a 15.4" WOW, wonder if u'd like a 7" umpc with 800x480? lol whats the resolution on most 12-13"?

weird thing, even with my 17" laptop screen at 1440x900 i set it much lower down to 1024x768(i know this is not 16:9, but i(and my father) both cant read most text and its a real strain on "our" sight(dont wear glasses and dont want to start). i just bought it because of the price and screen size.

ctmagnus
04-21-2007, 10:44 PM
whats the resolution on most 12-13"?

I run at 1280x800 native resolution.

Darius Wey
04-22-2007, 03:24 AM
.....1920x1200 on a 15.4" WOW, wonder if u'd like a 7" umpc with 800x480? lol whats the resolution on most 12-13"?

I've tried 7" UMPCs and most 12-13" laptops, and I'm fine with them - possibly because my desire to have all things ultra high-res has died off over the years. :P

Jason Dunn
04-26-2007, 08:10 PM
weird thing, even with my 17" laptop screen at 1440x900 i set it much lower down to 1024x768(i know this is not 16:9, but i(and my father) both cant read most text and its a real strain on "our" sight(dont wear glasses and dont want to start)

I don't mean to sound rude, but if you can't read text at 1440 x 900 on a 17" laptop screen, it's very likely that you do in fact need glasses - have you had your eyes checked lately? ;-)

Not that there's any problem with bumping down the resolution - whatever works for you. I do know that the computer industry is racing toward higher and higher resolution panels, but we have a greying population that is having a harder and harder time seeing things, so this is an issue that's going to reach a boiling point pretty soon...

isajoo
04-26-2007, 09:35 PM
sorry for the confusion...

i actually CAN read all the text at 1440x900(i am typing with the high res right now), i just dont like it. plus when i sit at my desk at work, the laptop is almost 3ft away from my eyes and for my dad it is not readable at all. so for his benefit i use the lower resolution. plus i get to save a few more years of my own eye sight.

my bro uses a laptop with 1900x1200 or something like that and for me THAT is even readable, but WHY would u want to view such small fonts.

for me its just a waste.

i did get my eyes checked and i only have a slight far sided issue.

plus, my job requires VERY good near sided vision, repairing watches and jewelery. my dad has used the magnify googles for years...my time will come.

maybe thats why i try to use a larger font, because of the strain from work.

edit: even on my ppc the font is set to largest, once again why keep it small. i usually read on my ppc from 1.5ft away.

Nurhisham Hussein
04-27-2007, 10:26 AM
isajoo, I'd go ahead and use the higher resolution, but bump up the DPI. That way you'll have the larger text AND greater clarity at the same time.

Jason Dunn
04-27-2007, 04:46 PM
i actually CAN read all the text at 1440x900(i am typing with the high res right now), i just dont like it. plus when i sit at my desk at work, the laptop is almost 3ft away from my eyes and for my dad it is not readable at all.

Three feet is quite a distance - most people tend to use laptops about 1.5 feet away, no more. So I can see why you'd have a hard time reading that. ;-)

my bro uses a laptop with 1900x1200 or something like that and for me THAT is even readable, but WHY would u want to view such small fonts.

Yeah, I've seen laptops at 1920 x 1200 on a 17" screen, which is CRAZY small. I use that resolution but it's on a 24" LCD monitor, so the difference is huge. High resolution = fitting more things on the screen at once, so the reason why some people like higher resolutions isn't that they like small fonts particularly, it's that they can fit more on the screen at once.

isajoo
04-27-2007, 05:22 PM
isajoo, I'd go ahead and use the higher resolution, but bump up the DPI. That way you'll have the larger text AND greater clarity at the same time.

my bro told me the same thing, but when i triec it, it does not seem to work for everything, especially web pages, most site are designed for 4:3 1024x768 or even 800x600 so it all just looks like a mess. he also told me to increase the font size on the browser, but once again it looked weird and it does not remember the settings, especially for sites that open a new tab/window.

3ft away is the closest i can get, its treated like a desktop not a laptop, i have a mouse from a pull out drawer and it sits on top of the desk and since it has a FULL keyboard its very similar to a desktop. i do agree using a resolution of 1024x768 on a 17"wide at "1ft" looks horrible. lol
but it works really good with all sites. my dads into stock trading.(i call it gambling) :)