View Full Version : Database fun...tips & tricks?

Sooner Magic
04-18-2007, 01:52 PM
I want to delete my calendar (Appointments Database) before
synchronizing because I have a ton of duplicated and wrong entries in there
that I want to get rid of. It says "Couldn't delete appointments database: the process cannot
access the file because it is being used by another process". I don't see
anything else running when I look at the system's running programs screen. I have some other things running set up to
autostart when the device boots, but they don't seem to show up on the
"running programs" screen, so I am sure there might be something else that's
accessing the Appointments Database but I don't know how to see that list.
Any advice? Thanks!!

Sven Johannsen
04-18-2007, 02:15 PM
I would suggest a different approach. What is using the DB is the OS. It needs to keep up with it to do alarms and such. The PIM DBs are integral parts of the system, they are not created when you sync some PIM stuff. Delete it, if you figure out how, and you will be hard resetting to get the structure back.

You also run the risk of the sync process assuming you have deleted all the appointments on the PPC, so obviously you want them deleted on the PC as well.

I would sugest break the partnership and re-establish it. With any luck you will be asked if you want to merge, or overwrite the PPC from the PC. I have had some instances where it doesn't ask and just merges. At least that doesn't lose anything. In that case, break the partnership, delete all the appointments and re-establish. There were some third party programs prior to WM5 that made direct PIM DB manipulation easier, but I haven't even looked for any since WM5. The underlying DB structure has changed, so you would need one specifically supporting WM5, if you look.

cassatta
04-20-2007, 09:04 AM
Hello!
If you are synchronizing with Office Outlook you should download the free software at http://www.mapilab.com/outlook/remove_duplicates/ !