View Full Version : Calligrapher + SPB + WM5 = :cry:

mr_yellow
04-16-2007, 06:48 PM
Hey all,

I've recently upgraded to a dopod818pro (HTC Prophet) from an old ipaq 4150... It's a lovely little device and I'm still getting used to all the phone aspects of the OS.

I've loaded the thing with my favorite apps but noticed that I have conflicts between any SPB app (mobile shell, pocket plus, weather, etc..) and calligrapher (or any other 3rd party SIP, ie. Tengo). If I have any spb app installed, i can no longer load up any 3rd party SIP. If I start up the 3rd party SIP *right* after a soft reset, it'll load, but then the device starts slowing to a crawl once I start using the device.

I checked the memory of the device and I still have a good 10-15 mbs of free Program RAM. and 10+ megs of Storage RAM. That should be plenty right? but why are the apps reacting in this way? Anyone else have a similar WM5 phone device and been successful with this combo of apps?

TIA,

ctmagnus
04-16-2007, 10:12 PM
I have a similar setup (i-Mate JAMin) although I no longer use TenGO Thumb. When I did use it, I did not experience symptoms like yours.

A few questions:

- Do you have Error Reporting disabled?

- Are any of your SIPs set to default?

One issue I did have is that if I had a third-party SIP set as default then tried to use another third-party SIP a while after soft-resetting, the second SIP would not load. I suspect this is similar to what you're experiencing; I do not know if it is caused by RAM or processor limitations.

mr_yellow
04-16-2007, 11:09 PM
Error reporting is disabled and the keyboard should be set as default SIP. I did this with the IMselect tool from the xda-developers site.

It's very strange. I think it might be due to the today plugins (maybe that determines what's in memory and what's not). I have have everything installed, but as long as not plugin is enabled, I can reliably start up calligrapher (and sometime tengo)... but once either of the SIPs are in memory, and I enable a today plugin (say, SPB Weather), it'll work for a while, but once I start using calligrapher, the recognition is reallllly slow to the point that it's almost crashed. Yet memory still reports 10+ megs of Program RAM available... Sheesh..

So far, I've uninstalled all spb apps, and set calligrapher to load on startup so that pretty much guarentees calligrapher to work. Now sometimes, when I try to load Tengo, it'll load, but then kick calligrapher out of memory, preventing me from starting calligrapher afterwards! Again, Program RAM reports 10+ megs available. How much RAM do these things need?

Denis Khitrov
04-17-2007, 11:44 AM
Actually SIP is typically lives in the same memory space where drivers live. This memory pool has a predefined limited size while today plug-ins use a normal free memory.

This problem is often happens with third parties SIPs - SIP just can't load because there is not enough space in that memory pool or pool is very fragmented.

If you use the SIP right after soft reset it will be loaded with a big probability and then will work ok.