View Full Version : Driver versions

GeorgeNZ
04-12-2007, 11:30 AM
Hi, a real newbie question.

I have just been given a iPAQ 5550 which is not that new a model but it is in pristine condition.

Is it worth me updating the drivers on it and if so how do I see what versions are currently installed? Do I then just download later versions from the HP site?

tks george

Cybrid
04-12-2007, 06:18 PM
Hi, a real newbie question.

I have just been given a iPAQ 5550 which is not that new a model but it is in pristine condition.

Is it worth me updating the drivers on it and if so how do I see what versions are currently installed? Do I then just download later versions from the HP site?

tks georgeYes, look in start>settinqs>systems tab>about and see if that is the latest ROM.

GeorgeNZ
04-12-2007, 10:04 PM
Thanks for that. Upon checking I see that there are 3 later versions of the ROM, my question then becomes:-

Can I just go to the latest version or do I need to install each in order?

Is it worth doing?

tks george

Cybrid
04-12-2007, 10:14 PM
Thanks for that. Upon checking I see that there are 3 later versions of the ROM, my question then becomes:-

Can I just go to the latest version or do I need to install each in order?

Is it worth doing?

tks georgeThis has a small risk of bricking your device therefore needs to be done right the first time.
Proceed directly to latest ROM. Be sure to read instructions thoroughly and practice a few dry runs. Use the best PC you have and connect directly. Do not use a USB Hub.
Most ROM's also have bug fixes but if you're finding the PDA stable and useful as is without the problems listed in the bug fix...why bother?
You should as a precaution download and burn to disk the latest one in case you might need it later but HP might have dropped support by then.

GeorgeNZ
04-12-2007, 11:45 PM
tks for that, yes I may just leave well enough alone unless I start having problems.

Next thing is to work out how to read books :D

george