View Full Version : windows office mobile

egg
04-04-2007, 11:51 PM
Forgive me, I'm new to these devices.
I'm spent most of the day trying to figure out whether a device like this would be useful, and if the software available would allow me to do what I want to do.
I was also told by Microsoft, that when I buy a device, I have to let the manufacturer know what I want on the device, because stuff can't be installed later. Is this true? Because I've read a lot of people's posts about installing 3rd party software (or is that just on non-windows mobile devices)?
So, I was wondering if anyone here could expand upon the program listing for Mobile Office, other than Word, Excel and PowerPoint? I want to be able to edit basic txt documents. Also, is Outlook (Express) included, or is that just replaced by an email management program in Windows Mobile?
Also, can I connect to an ftp site for my website, and upload txt files and pictures/videos that I have on a device? Is it possible?
Sorry to ask so many questions, but your help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Dan

hamishmacdonald
04-05-2007, 12:45 AM
>...told by Microsoft, that when I buy a device, I have to let the manufacturer know what I want on the device, because stuff can't be installed later.

I don't know who you were talking to, but that's a wildly inaccurate answer. I mean, it's true in the same way that Darth Vader killed Luke's father ("...from a certain point of view"). But, really, someone was being cagey and didn't give you a straight answer.

Here's the deal: Each manufacturer chooses which components to add to the core OS image, such as GPS or phone modules. But the core OS of any commercially-available Pocket PC device will include a basic set of applications. These include Pocket Outlook (for e-mail and, if it's a phone device, text messaging), Pocket Word, Pocket Excel, and, as of Windows Mobile 5.0, a Pocket PowerPoint viewer. Windows Media Player is included, as is an image viewer. Beyond this will be whatever other applications the manufacturer includes, as well as a zillion little control panels for system settings.

And, unlike the iPhone, these devices allow you to install third-party software. For most of us on this site, these are the heart of the usefulness of these machines. For instance, many users like applications such as Pocket Informant for extending the Personal Information Manager features, though I prefer the simplicity of the built-in applications. But on the other hand, I've added TextMaker, because I need a word processor that equals Word on the desktop, and Pocket Word is too simplified for my writing projects.

>Also, can I connect to an ftp site for my website, and upload txt files and pictures/videos that I have on a device?

For FTP, you'll need a third-party application. Resco File Explorer is another of the beefed-up third-party apps (to replace the built-in file explorer), and it features an FTP module. There are also dedicated FTP programs, but I've not found one I like as much as Resco's.

There are a few picture upload applications emerging now, but this is still relatively new. In my opinion, we've yet to see a commercial-grade blogging/photoblogging application. Some close contenders as yet as SPB Imageer, which uploads to a Fotki account, or SplashBlog, which uploads to -- er, sorry, another online service (I can't remember which as I write this). Both of these services have limited storage without a paid account.

I hope that answers your questions.

egg
04-05-2007, 01:10 AM
That more than answered my questions. If I'm able to install thrid party software, than that more than gives me the opportunity to find everything I need to complete all the tasks.
That answer from Microsoft had me a little worried. Imagine, not be able to install more software.
Thanks again,
Dan