View Full Version : MAX size of Word documents allowed/readable

DSX
04-01-2007, 11:30 AM
Whats the maximum size of word, rtf documents that one can open successfully on a XDA 2?

I am able to open documents of size 24 KB but unable to open multiple documents of sizes 450 KB, 2.5MB, etc.

Really need to open some important docs on my xda.

Kind Regards,

mcha
04-01-2007, 05:27 PM
Hi DSX - Using Pocket Word, 359kb failed, 212kb ok on a FSPL720 running Wm2003SE. I use Resco File Explorer which has a built in viewer for processing [reading] txt files. The max I've opened with that is c.10mb. It's very fast & has great search facilities too.

DSX
04-01-2007, 06:11 PM
Thanks for your reply. I need to edit the text files as well. so i am looking for more than just viewing/reading.

Why is it such a problem?

I mean I have a memory card, 5 MB, as well. And there is still 50MB of space left.

Why is word not able to open a 0.5 MB file. etc?

Regards,

Nurhisham Hussein
04-02-2007, 09:42 AM
Have a try at Textmaker (http://www.softmaker.com/english/of_en.htm) - it's expensive but worth it.

DSX
04-02-2007, 01:49 PM
I bought the textmaker, but my xda says that the file is incompatible. OMG

Recommendations?

DSX
04-02-2007, 02:16 PM
Just one working word processor is all i need.

Have researched online, but still many incompatible. Hence, any semi-serious recommendations welcomed.

Nurhisham Hussein
04-03-2007, 08:07 AM
I just opened a 3MB rtf file (images + text) and a 1.7MB rtf file (all text) with Textmaker 2007 - nary a problem with either. Then I tried opening the same files with Pocket Word - no problem either (like mscha, using a FSC PL 720 running WM2003SE).

I suspect your problem isn't so much the word processor itself but the amount of free memory you have. By this I mean the amount of program memory, as storage memory has no bearing on the ability of programs to handle large file sizes.

DSX
04-03-2007, 10:59 AM
Thank you for ur reply.

I guess the storage and program memory is not a problem as after following your advice, i increased the program memory to over 70 MB. Still experiencing the problem.

My total memory is 125MB. Storage and program has about 50 MB each free. Not a problem.

But I might have found the solution.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/891669/en-us

It says the word is restricted to open documents with a limit of about 8000 lines.

But as you have said that u were able to open 3 mb docs. HOW?

Also, the word document does open the document in the background, but gives the message "Error opening file" everytime. If i press ok. The word closes along with the document.

On their website microsoft recommends
1. "To work around this behavior, only synchronize documents that have fewer than 8,186 lines.
2. If you want to, you can break up the Word document into smaller Word documents before you synchronize them with your Pocket PC."

But when i used a smaller document of size 483KB, i still have the same problem.

However, i can open docs of sizes around 50KB.

So inconvienient.

Nurhisham Hussein
04-04-2007, 07:26 AM
The two files I opened had images on them, which explains the inflated file sizes. So to test this out, I loaded another rtf that I had (2.3MB, no images, 24,023 lines!!), and had a go:

1. As you'd expect, Pocket Word choked on it.
2. Both Textmaker and Textmaker 2007 handled it fine however.

Which version of TM did you get?