View Full Version : Perfect Device ? ?

LPC
04-01-2007, 09:12 AM
Hey guys I'm looking to get a new PDA currently using the iPAQ HW6910 which is pretty good. Finding the scroll thingy in the middle is starting to play up.

I was wondering if anyone here could share some knowladge and let me know if a device has or will have all of the following -

VGA Screen (Must)
Bluetooth (Must)
WiFi
GPS
Phone (Must)
WM6 (upgrade or with right now, as a nice to have)

I've been hunting around for a while and can't quite get everything. I soooo don't care about a keyboard but it'd be nice to get that lot all in one device (if possible).

Thanks in advance.

Nurhisham Hussein
04-02-2007, 09:45 AM
There's a few device on the horizon that would fulfill most of your criteria:
1. HTC Advantage
2. O2 Xda Flame
3. Toshiba G800
4. i_Mate Ultimate line (5 devices)

Only the Advantage has been launched at the moment, but the rest should be available in world markets by 3Q 2007. Just be preapred for the sticker shock.

LPC
04-02-2007, 10:01 AM
Cheers for your answer, the HTC Advantage is massive, I carry a full laptop around so that beast is kinda overkill. Nice functions on it but it's just way to big to be practical.

Can't find the Toshiba G800 anywhere on the web, though I'll keep looking :).

The O2 jobbie looks interesting, not seen that anywhere yet.

Been looking at the iMate stuff but I doubt it'll hit the UK for ages :(.

I've found the Glofiish X800, which look completely amazing if and when it gets released.

Malkatraz
04-03-2007, 01:16 AM
The Toshiba G900 has the following specs:

-Either 312mhz or 416mhz XScale processor
-128MB RAM
-3" 800x480 W-VGA Screen
-BT
-wifi
-Fingerprint scanner which can be used as a trackpad
-tri or quad-band GSM
-2100MHz HSDPA
-QWERTY keyboard
-WM6
-Very likely to include one of Qualcomm's MSM chips (either MSM6*** or MSM7***) which will mean it will effectively have an ATI Imageon GPU built into it, plus all the other goodies that the Qualcomm chip has. Perhaps even the GPSone receiver, which, although isn't a top GPS, is better than nothing.

What makes me say that it will have the Qualcomm chip?
-It is running quite a slow processor to drive a 800x480 screen
-The G500 is confirmed to have the MSM6280 (pocketpcitalia)
-Toshiba have an agreement with Qualcomm to integrate their chips in Toshis products
-It was mentioned in an interview with one of Toshiba Europes managers: "The radio in the G900 is the same as in the G500 and the 3G chipset is being provided by Qualcomm and the multimedia processor by Intel."

This is very close to the 'ultimate' device. What holds it back is the lack of an FM Radio (Important AFAIC) and it uses BT 1.2.

If you hadn't figured, this is the device I'm waiting for :) (Late may/June).

EDIT: Looking at Qualcomm's site, there really is only 1 applications processor that is capable of running a 800x480 screen: the MSM7200a.

http://www.cdmatech.com/download_library/pdf/msm7200a_chipset.pdf

Interesting...includes BT2.0 as well.

Nurhisham Hussein
04-03-2007, 07:43 AM
Thanks Malkatraz, and welcome to PPCT!

@LPC

Sorry for the misquote, the G900 it is.

Richard Cozens
04-25-2007, 10:05 AM
Hi

I have been using HP for years and have gone through a lot of them. My latest 2 Hp have been 6910 & 6945 which i was experiencing problems with (hardware and software)

I have now invested in the HTC Tytn (8525) whichi am very happy with. It has the same features (except GPS) as the 6945 (even more) and runs WM5. Apparently there will be a free upgrade in June to WM6.

I can definately recommend the HTC Tytn

Cheers