View Full Version : Streaming music over GPRS and receiving incoming calls... Is this possible?

SD-Realtor
03-30-2007, 05:06 PM
So far I have downloaded and tried resco radio and mundu radio. Both work great as far as listening to music, but neither allow incoming calls. The calls just go straight into vm. Is there any program anyone uses to stream internet radio stations (sky fm, radioio, etc), which actually allow incoming calls... or does everyone who uses streaming music over gprs just not worry about incoming call when listening to music?

Please let me know how yours operates.
Thx!

ADBrown
03-30-2007, 05:52 PM
As long as you have an active data connection, you won't be able to receive calls, period. It doesn't matter which program you use. EDGE improves this to the point where calls will ring through if you're not actively transmitting or recieving data, but only the newer UMTS/HSDPA technologies allow truly simultaneous voice and data transmission.

SD-Realtor
03-30-2007, 06:30 PM
Thanks for the explaination, ADBrown. That makes perfect sense and i appreciate you clearing it up for me. When I am online checking out stuff on websites, I can receive calls so long as it is not actively transmitting data, but with the constant data transmission when streaming music, it just isn't possible... at least for the measly 20/month plan ;-)

I will have to check out this UMTS/HSDPA technologies you are talking about... but something tells me it will cost significantly more and possible require new hardware.

Thanks again!

ADBrown
03-30-2007, 06:39 PM
I will have to check out this UMTS/HSDPA technologies you are talking about... but something tells me it will cost significantly more and possible require new hardware.

It shouldn't cost any more per month, but you're right that it requires new hardware. I'm not sure what carrier you're on--T-Mobile doesn't have any UMTS or HSDPA yet (they're supposed to deploy it this year), but AT&T/Cingular has a growing network. Some examples of properly-equipped devices they carry are the Samsung Blackjack and Cingular 8525.

SD-Realtor
03-31-2007, 12:04 AM
I am on Cingular, which it sounds like is good news. I just spoke with Cingular and found out that you're right, the 3g access doesn't cost any extra... it simply requires the right hardware and sim. I'm probably going to head into a cingular store to check out what they have. My main concern will be to be able to have something which is either windows mobile (ppc) or if it's not a pocket pc, it can utilize some of the streaming music programs. I currently have the mpx300 ppc, and I also use a razr. I love the size and light weight of the razr, but haven't yet found whether or not they have any streaming music programs (like resco or mundu) which can operate on a non windows unit (like the razr), and I also don't know if they have a 3G compatible razr. Please let me know if you have any info on this, and I'll be looking into it as well. Thanks!

ADBrown
03-31-2007, 08:48 AM
My main concern will be to be able to have something which is either windows mobile (ppc) or if it's not a pocket pc, it can utilize some of the streaming music programs. I currently have the mpx300 ppc, and I also use a razr. I love the size and light weight of the razr, but haven't yet found whether or not they have any streaming music programs (like resco or mundu) which can operate on a non windows unit (like the razr),

I think that there may be some very limited streaming audio apps for Java (which is what the Razr runs) but not as many or as good as Windows has.

You definitely should look at the Samsung Blackjack. It's a Windows Smartphone, so it doesn't run all the same programs as a PPC, but it does run some, a lot more than a Razr would. It's also very thin and light.

Alternatively, if you're willing to wait, Cingular may be carrying a version of the HTC Erato, which is a 3G Windows Smartphone device in a clamshell design similar to the Razr. It's supposed to be a replacement for the HTC StrTrk, which Cingular markets as the 3125. The current one is a good device, but isn't 3G.

and I also don't know if they have a 3G compatible razr.

The Razr V3xx is 3G.

SD-Realtor
04-04-2007, 06:41 AM
ADBrown-Thx for the detailed reply. A couple things for me to note... I will look into the streaming audio apps for Java which may be compatible for the razr, to see if there are in fact any which are at least worth while. I now know it won't be useful to me unless I decide to purchase a new 3g razr, because obviously with my current phone I won't be able to receive incoming calls if streaming. I will use my current razr to try the streaming technology if I can find the java program.

Just today I went into Best Buy and played with both the Blackjack and 3125. Since I am such a fan of the size and weight of the razr, I would have to say I was very impressed with the 3125. I have been researching it for the past few days, when a Cingular employee told me about it. Needless to say, I wouldn't buy it for one reason and one reason only... lack of 3g. I just looked into the HTC Erato you mentioned, and it sure is the replacement with 3g and a faster processor, with WM6. (Funny, just today I was asking myself when they would replace the 3125 with a 3g version... and just now I logged onto this site and found that you pointed me in the right direction). I prefer the HTC over the blackjack as it is a smaller package, and I like the idea that it's a flip phone so the (main) screen is fully protected when the phone is closed.

The smartphone concept is very new to me, as I am used to the full blown touch screen pocket pc (so far the WM2003SE, but I don't think WM5 is much different for the basic non-power user). I'd imagine there are many programs made to enhance usability for WM smartphone editions. I am curious to see how much control a user has over Internet Explorer without the touch screen as well, for example going to a site like ebay on the 3g network (assuming it would be fast enough to load), and manuvering around any given page. These are all things I'll have to look into. Today I was also researching the Jasjar (QteK 9000), which looked like a nice PPC with 3G, but it's WAAAAY too big. I thought my mpx300 was a brick, but the jasjar is significantly larger and heavier (6.46oz vs. 10oz), which kicks it out of the runnings in my book.

The research continues, and the nice thing is that I am in no hurry, so I can be patient for the Erato to come out.

Thanks again!!! I appreciate it!