View Full Version : Some questions re: 700wx

bigkingfun
03-29-2007, 12:50 AM
I've been a Pocket PC user for years but I'm about to pick up my first "connected" device - the 700wx. There are a few questions that my wireless provider can't seem to answer, however.

First, how are ROM updates handled on these devices? Are they issued by Palm or by the wireless provider (or a combination of the two)? I'm curious whether Palm issues updates the way other manufacturers like Dell or HP do and if so are they universally compatible or do they have to be customized by each wireless provider.

Next, my main computer is a Macbook Pro and I'm wondering whether I can use the 700wx as a modem. My wireless provider apparently blocks bluetooth access for the modem but USB connections work fine. They only support Windows though, not OS X.

Is it simply a matter of loading a driver that will recognize the Treo or is there more going on behind the scenes? I use a cell phone as a modem right now and it's just configured as a dialup connection on the Mac that dials a certain number that connects to the EVDO service. I'm wondering if I'll be able to use the Treo the same way.

Lastly, I've been reading about an AKU3 update that will work with the latest version of the Mac OS. Is there some way to determine whether it's installed on the Treo? Is there a certain version number for the OS or some other indication?

Thanks,
John

ctmagnus
03-30-2007, 09:41 PM
I can't answer your other questions, but...
Lastly, I've been reading about an AKU3 update that will work with the latest version of the Mac OS. Is there some way to determine whether it's installed on the Treo? Is there a certain version number for the OS or some other indication?

Thanks,
John
Open Settings -> System on the device, then About. Strip out the first part after Build in the first paragraph, and what's left is the AKU that you have. For example, my device says Build 14847.2.0.0, which indicates that it is AKU 2.0.0.

ADBrown
04-01-2007, 06:50 AM
First, how are ROM updates handled on these devices? Are they issued by Palm or by the wireless provider (or a combination of the two)? I'm curious whether Palm issues updates the way other manufacturers like Dell or HP do and if so are they universally compatible or do they have to be customized by each wireless provider.

Palm issues the updates, but major updates do tend to be provider-specific. Smaller ones may be generic.

Next, my main computer is a Macbook Pro and I'm wondering whether I can use the 700wx as a modem. My wireless provider apparently blocks bluetooth access for the modem but USB connections work fine. They only support Windows though, not OS X.

Yes, you can, using a program called PDAnet.

Besides what ctmagnus already noted, it's worth saying that you don't need AKU3 in order for the device to work with a Mac--as I recall, that distinction only has to do with using the device as a modem over Bluetooth, which you're not going to do anyway.

Cybrid
04-01-2007, 09:42 AM
Besides what ctmagnus already noted, it's worth saying that you don't need AKU3 in order for the device to work with a Mac--as I recall, that distinction only has to do with using the device as a modem over Bluetooth, which you're not going to do anyway. Yes he does. :lol:

First, how are ROM updates handled on these devices? Are they issued by Palm or by the wireless provider (or a combination of the two)? I'm curious whether Palm issues updates the way other manufacturers like Dell or HP do and if so are they universally compatible or do they have to be customized by each wireless provider. It will end up having to be customized bu Palm then released to Telus/Bell and recustomized before you receive it.

Next, my main computer is a Macbook Pro and I'm wondering whether I can use the 700wx as a modem. My wireless provider apparently blocks bluetooth access for the modem but USB connections work fine. They only support Windows though, not OS X. BT dialup is possible. It may depend on some workarounds for the OSX.

Is it simply a matter of loading a driver that will recognize the Treo or is there more going on behind the scenes? I use a cell phone as a modem right now and it's just configured as a dialup connection on the Mac that dials a certain number that connects to the EVDO service. I'm wondering if I'll be able to use the Treo the same way. Just a matter of a driver/ profile. You need a CDMA modem driver for the Mac and the the dialup profile on the Treo. I've successfully done this with a Dell X50v and a UTS 6700 but couldn't do it with a HP rx3715?. It may depend on luck 8O