View Full Version : My 95 Mb dillemma......please help if you can..

Supdog
03-28-2007, 05:23 AM
Hello everyone,

Well, I am new to this busines that is for sure and I am hoping that maybe someone could give me some advice.

I have created an eBook that I would like to sell online. It includes a great deal of screenshots, so it is a very big ebook file. From what I am learning 98Mb is a big file for customers to download. If that is not correct please let me know, but I am going to be going under the assumption that it is.

Anyway, I would like to set up my distribution of the book by separatiing it into 3 ebooks. However, the company that i am using will send one "one Pin code" per book. And I am not sure how to make that one Pin code work for three separate books.

Now, as I have been pondering (and forgive my "newbie-isms" if I sound like a putz), I know the ebook company has a "confirmation url page" that will automatically generate a pin and send it to my website's "thank you page" that the customer is sent to after they complete their purchase thru paypal.

My questions are as follows: 1. Would it work (or be a good idea) if I split up my eBook into 3 pages and use the same url address for all three books? In other words, would that in turn send all three pin codes to the "thank you" page? Does that mean that I would have to create 3 separate HTML Code boxes?

Secondly, is there a way to set up with paypal (or is it even necessary) that the customer would purchase all 3 books for one price, or would I have to break up the price (which is $19.95) three ways?

Steve Jordan
04-01-2007, 01:51 PM
Supdog,

I'm presently using Paypal to sell my e-books online. With some third-party CGI coding added to their system, you have all kinds of options to deliver your product, including making one purchase and having multiple files delivered by e-mail, or making one purchase, and getting an e-mail with secure download links to each file. (I've been using script from Tools For Webmasters, but I'm not sure if they are still a viable source for scripts.)

Paypal provides links to many of the 3rd party vendors they support, and you can search through them to find one that will satisfy your needs, depending on what they do, and your own level of coding experience (expert to none). They also have developers' forums that can help you.

Once you set up an account with Paypal Developer Network, go to Third Party Solutions, and select Digital Goods to see a list of vendors. Some of the other links, like Shops and Storefronts, may also help.

Tracy Daubenspeck
04-02-2007, 06:10 AM
The size of your ebook is indeed big. What is your intended audience? If you are trying to reach the mobile market, the size just won't fly. If you just want to sell an electonic copy for people to use on their PCs then you may still be OK. Not too many folks use their PCs for reading though.

If you are interested in making your pictures smaller, there are graphics programs that will help you with that. I would think that with some effort you could get the overall size down to a manageable number.