View Full Version : "Upgrading" to Windows Mobile 6 on same Mobile?

bcwatson
03-28-2007, 04:00 AM
Ok, I'm guessing the answer is "No!", but is it possible to upgrade from Windows Mobile 5.0 to 6.0 on my Treo 700W? Since I think the answer is going to be "No", I'll ask the obvious next question: Why not? I mean, we can upgrade to a new version on our desktop or laptop PCs so why not our Pocket PCs? Is it because the operating system is firmware and not software? Firmware can still be upgraded if they want it to be.... Is it an "understanding" MS has with the phone companies to sell more units? We know that MS stops supporting versions of software after a number of years... I don't want to have to get a another Treo just because...

rookcnu
03-28-2007, 04:14 AM
I was about to ask the same question about my Cingular 8125.

applejosh
03-28-2007, 10:03 PM
It is up to the manufacturer whenther an upgrade will be made available. If the manufacturer wants to invest time and money to customize the ROM image to their hardware, they can. But in general, I'd say your chances are slim to none, but I do not have any inside information either way. Not necessarily Microsoft's idea; more likely that the phone companies want to sell you a new device (and faster data plan, etc.)

Generally, handheld devices require some sort of engineering by the manufacturer to add use of sliding keyboards, radio interfaces, or any number of manufacturer specific components. I'm guessing that Microsoft doesn't bundle "drivers" for such things either because they can't (intellectual property rights) or because if they tried to include drivers for every possible piece of hardware, the ROM image would balloon up to some ridiculous size. As it is now, the ROM image is tailored by the manufacturer for each device.

Whatever the case, we're at the mercy of the manufacturers for the near future. And just because Windows Mobile 6 comes out doesn't make your WM5 device obsolete. Heck, PocketPC2002 support from most third party software authors is only recently being dropped. Microsoft itself even made DST updates available for WM2003 (first ed.) That's kind of amazing for Microsoft.

Nurhisham Hussein
03-29-2007, 10:27 AM
Whatever the case, we're at the mercy of the manufacturers for the near future. And just because Windows Mobile 6 comes out doesn't make your WM5 device obsolete.

Interestingly enough, the upgrade model has been changed in WM6 - for these devices, we are no longer at the mercy of manufacturers, as Microsoft will be providing the upgrades direct.

applejosh
03-29-2007, 01:29 PM
I'll admit that I have not looked at WM6 specs at all. But will this direct-from-Microsoft updating apply only to minor (eg. AKU) updates, or will there potentially be the ability to upgrade to WM7? Call me a pessimist, but I somehow don't believe that major upgrades will happen via this mechanism. Hopefully, I'm wrong, but I just don't see it.

(And as I understand it, it does not help those of us currently using WM5 devices.)

Sven Johannsen
03-30-2007, 02:21 AM
Whatever the case, we're at the mercy of the manufacturers for the near future. And just because Windows Mobile 6 comes out doesn't make your WM5 device obsolete.

Interestingly enough, the upgrade model has been changed in WM6 - for these devices, we are no longer at the mercy of manufacturers, as Microsoft will be providing the upgrades direct.

Where did you get this information from. To my knowledge MS is still providing the WM6 bits to the OEMs, and they are distributing it, after making the necessary modifications. There has been some discussion that MS is providing that OS image to OEMs for free, but I don't think I have seen that confirmed officially.

WM6 does have an Update capability similar to Windows Update on the PC which could be used for incremental or full upgrades, but the reality is that the OEMs are still the customer. As opposed to the PC model, the OEM is not just an OS reseller.

P.S. I do believe I have already seen significantly more OEMs commit to a WM6 upgrade for WM5 devices than I have ever seen for any previous OS upgrade.

Nurhisham Hussein
03-30-2007, 07:41 AM
I'll admit that I have not looked at WM6 specs at all. But will this direct-from-Microsoft updating apply only to minor (eg. AKU) updates, or will there potentially be the ability to upgrade to WM7?

My fingers are crossed 0X

Where did you get this information from. To my knowledge MS is still providing the WM6 bits to the OEMs, and they are distributing it, after making the necessary modifications. There has been some discussion that MS is providing that OS image to OEMs for free, but I don't think I have seen that confirmed officially.

Nothing officially - but I'm encouraged by the fact the WM team have stated that they have been moving towards a more PC-type upgrading model (or for that matter, mobile phone-type upgrade models) since the development of WM5. More importantly, the very fact that you have a Windows update type service means MS is putting itself in the firing line - henceforth, nobody's going to be looking at the manufacturer/carrier for updates because MS has implicitly taking on that responsibility.

Sven Johannsen
03-30-2007, 03:27 PM
Well, I'm not holding my breath. I think Update on WM6 is goint to used for things like a DST update at most, or heaven forbid, security updates. I think there needs to be a significant change in the way the OS is structured before the carriers will allow substantial OS changes without requireing additional testing. That puts them in the loop even if MS is able to push or provide updates directly. I think it would be a lot easier for the OEMs of pure PPCs to swallow, but there are less and less of those.