View Full Version : Hosted Exchange Users: How Often Do You Desktop Sync?

Jon Westfall
03-27-2007, 01:17 PM
Recently I realized that I never sync to my desktop anymore. Well, almost never - I do sync my eWallet file every few weeks or so. Of course, I could do that via an SD card just as easily as I do it through ActiveSync (if not easier). Which brings me to the startling realization that my once beloved (and hated) essential tool, Desktop ActiveSync, <b>isn't needed anymore.</b> If someone had told me this a few years ago, I wouldn't have believed them! But it does make sense - Server ActiveSync through Exchange does pretty much everything I need it to do (minus file sync, which would be very useful), and the hassle of breaking out the Tablet PC to sync isn't worth the benefits any longer. Truly a shift in thinking that subtly snuck up on me!<br /><br />This sentiment was echoed in an email with Jason this past week regarding the new sync software in Vista (A reader posed a question regarding it that few editors here could attempt to answer - since we don't sync our devices with Vista (Using the WMDC) too often or at all!). Both Jason and I figured it may be interesting to see how those of you who use Hosted Exchange services to sync up your email, contacts, calendar, and (possibly) tasks treat desktop sync. Do you even do it at all? What have you done to replace features such as media and file sync (if anything!)?<br /><br /><i>Note: Please only vote if you use some sort of Server-side Sync tool. Never sync'ing to anything is a different topic!</i>

griph
03-27-2007, 01:47 PM
I only ever use desktop Async when I am installing software I haven't downloaded as a CAB file. Exchange is by far the best tool I have on my WM5 and is the first thing I set up on any new machine. I no longer sync with my home PC - syncing with 2 PC's was always a pain - so I dont bother anymore.

spacerace
03-27-2007, 01:48 PM
I've had a hosted exchange server for about 2 years now, and since then I have never desktop sync'd. Even when I get a brand new WM phone (about 5 in the last 2 years) I don't desktop sync, I just plug my server details into ActiveSync on the phone and away it goes.....

bearxor
03-27-2007, 02:20 PM
A very intresting topic and something I've come to realize these past few months. I haven't synced my 700wx to my desktop ever and rarely sync'd mhy 6600 when I had it. If I want to install an application I put my sd card in to my computer and then copy the cab files on to it. If the program is a windows installer, I install it and then go through the program files\activesync folder to pull out the cab files.

I just thought that this will be impossible to do when I get my MacBook Pro as it doesn't have a built-in SD reader. Guess I'll need to buy an Express Card.

spacerace
03-27-2007, 02:43 PM
or you could pick up a USB SD card reader. Also many programs have the CAB file available on their website. Anything I've needed to install I've simply browsed to the website on the smartphone and selected the .cab file for install. It's not an option for all software but for anything I've needed it has worked fine...

Jason Lee
03-27-2007, 02:50 PM
I sync often with both the exchange server and my laptop. My device is a personal device but i like to use it for much of my work stuff as it makes life soo much easier. The exchange server is for work so i sync email, calendar, and tasks. Everything else is synced to my laptop. So i try to sync with both often to avoid unresolved items. :)

If i ever get a PPC from work i might get a personal exchange account.. I dunno. My web hosting provider offers them now. I just don't like the idea of all my very personal data sitting out there on a server out of my control. I know i could probably make a local backup copy of my PST...

Of course i've only had highspeed internet for 3 months now.. I am still not quite used to being always connected. hehe.. but for now i still want my data inside my home where i can get to it no matter the state of my internet connection.

topps
03-27-2007, 04:30 PM
It's not quite the right question for some of us. I use desktop sync much less than I used to. You are right - direct to Exchange is much better. So now, I only sync once per day via the laptop...your survey will perceive me as still being a high user of desktop sync...but it has reduced by 90%.

bearxor
03-27-2007, 04:48 PM
or you could pick up a USB SD card reader. Also many programs have the CAB file available on their website. Anything I've needed to install I've simply browsed to the website on the smartphone and selected the .cab file for install. It's not an option for all software but for anything I've needed it has worked fine...
You're right most things are available to download as cabs, but there are exceptions. The point of getting the express card sd reader would be so that I could leave it in the laptop 24/7 instead of having to carry around a small usb sd card reader. Guess thats one advantage of my current Dell notebook I didn't think of when looking at the Apple.

carln
03-27-2007, 04:53 PM
This was the only entry that came close to my situation..... I was ActiveSync-ing once or twice a month with my desktop at work, it generally would mess up my work calendar with double entries and tasks, also the same problem with contacts. So I started mainly using it for loading cabs and file transfers, then one day at ver 4.5 it just stopped recognizing my 6700. So now the only reason I hook it up is to charge it, and my computer just complains that an "unrecognized" USB connection was made....

Oh, so I finally bought a notebook, went out a week ago and bought a Sony Vaio, cute little thing, love it to death, hating Vista for now... I'm sure in a year or so when all the service packs settle down it will be great, but for now.. Window Mobile does not find my 6700 in USB or Bluetooth, which was of course part of why I liked it, I wanted to use the phone as a modem and be able to surf anywhere, not just in hotspots.... I"m sure that I will eventually figure this all out but am frustrated that one can spend $2300 on a laptop and $600 on a phone and not have them see each other.... I bet that if you put a I-phone any where near an Apple lap top they will say.... "Hello Brother"!!!!

Sorry for the rant..... :roll:

Carl

Underwater Mike
03-27-2007, 04:56 PM
I voted for "once a month." Since the current version of AS has no backup capability, I have far less incentive do sync with the desktop. Besides file sync, though, they really need to enable notes synchronization. That is a goofy oversight...

Marty1781
03-27-2007, 05:15 PM
I use hosted Exchange and still sync to my desktop all the time. Because I use the cradle to charge and the cradle is connected to my desktop via USB, placing the PPC in the cradle obviously autolaunches AS and thus my PPC gets synced to the desktop anytime I charge my phone. I like the desktop sync because my Notes and favorites will get synced. Also, when I need to move files between my PPC and desktop, the USB AS connection makes that very easy and I don't have to fuss with removing the miniSD card, placing it in the SD adaptor, then putting it in the card reader. Recently, I've been hard resetting my phone quite often, experimenting with different ROMs/AKUs for my 6700 and using the desktop's internet connection is defnitely faster than EVDO for downloading all my PIM data back onto the 6700. Using the desktop sync also lets me define which email subfolders I want to sync as well. Finally, I don't need to worry about if a cab file is available or not whenever I want to install a program, I know that either a cab or desktop installer will be just fine because I have the desktop USB AS connection going.

When all is said and done, its not something I even give a second thought to. The syncing is automatic obviously and requires no internvention from me since placing the PPC in the cradle is all I need to do. So when thinking about the benefits of desktop syncing I described above and the minimal effort it requires on my part, I think it is a great tool that is well worth the minimal effort it takes to set it up initially (at least for me).

paschott
03-27-2007, 05:36 PM
I chose weekly as I still do installs of some software via activesync. SPB makes installation with a key really easy and I don't have to mess around with CABs sitting on my device for the most part. I tend not to really think about it unless I want to copy some files (don't have a reader for mini-SD and lost the adapter - any suggestions?) or if I'm installing software that just can't be downloaded due to size or the fact that it only comes with a Windows installer, or if I'm flashing my device to yet another version of the OS. (Rare, but if something is really compelling I'll do it.)

I also use my home and work PC so try to pull important information from both of those - Contacts, Appointments, Tasks, Notes.

Other than that, when our Exchange server started doing Tasks because they finally installed SP2, I rarely use ActiveSync to the PC.

-Pete

emmfan
03-27-2007, 05:52 PM
I used Hosted Exchange for about a year, which is still the most seamless solution for synching on the mobile device, but Outlook on the desktop just wasn't working for me anymore. So recently, I have been moving towards web apps, like Gmail, Google Calendar and Remember the Milk (for tasks).

Consequently, I have been trying different syncing solutions for my winmo phone (xv6700 on Verizon). The tools are there, but not quite ready for primetime.

Jon Westfall
03-27-2007, 05:59 PM
I use hosted Exchange and still sync to my desktop all the time. Because I use the cradle to charge and the cradle is connected to my desktop via USB, placing the PPC in the cradle obviously autolaunches AS and thus my PPC gets synced to the desktop anytime I charge my phone.

This is actually something I've been thinking about as a possible reason for me not desktop activesync'ing as much - lack of cradle! Back in the old days, when every device (it seemed) came with a cradle, I was continuously sync'ed. Even when I moved to Hosted Exchange, I had a cradle I bought for my K-JAM and had connected to my work computer, so sync'ing was fairly regular. But now, with my Treo 750, I have no cradle anywhere - and consequently one avenue to desktop sync'ing is gone. However, since my primary 'sync' machine was always my laptop or tablet PC, I surmise that a cradle wouldn't radically change my situation - just move me from the "Every 2 - 3 weeks" category to "Every 2 - 3 days".

Tony Rylow
03-27-2007, 06:08 PM
My vote was for Rarely. Initially when I got my Treo 750, I didn't have a storage card with my applications available, so I had to sync to install some programs. I then set up my Exchange account and didnt' sync anymore.

A few weeks ago I bought a new laptop that came with Vista, so I just 'had to' set it up to sync, just to see how Vista would handle it. It worked as well as I expected. A few days later, I bought a copy of eWallet, so I have hooked up a couple times to sync that.

tendomentis
03-27-2007, 09:44 PM
I hook up my pocket pc phone "almost" every night, if only to let it recharge on my desk. I have been using hosted exchange for a few years now, so my WMDC doesn't actually sync anything between Outlook 2007 and my PPC/Phone.

I do use WMP11 on my desktop to sync music with my device though.

T-Will
03-27-2007, 10:11 PM
I'm thinking of moving to a hosted Exchange, but I have a few questions:

1. How do you get your current data to the hosted Exchange account? Can you export to a .pst and send it to the hosting company?

2. How do you backup your Exchange database (in case something goofy happens during sync or if you want to go back to using desktop sync)?

I'm leery at the moment of going to a hosted account because right now I have the inexpensive T-Mobile data plan with my Dash and am expecting that to go away soon and am not sure I want to fork over $20/month just for data when that goes away. Plus it's an additional cost to have the account hosted.

So for me, I'd be paying more but for what advantage? I have to plug in to charge every day as it is, so it's just as easy to plug into my PC to sync/charge. I don't switch devices often so it's not a plus for me to make it easy to sync when I get a new device. Plus I'd still have to plug-in to sync up FlexWallet and hopefully some files (when WM6 is released for SP).

At this point, the cost outweighs the benefits for me.

Jon Westfall
03-27-2007, 10:28 PM
I'm thinking of moving to a hosted Exchange, but I have a few questions:

1. How do you get your current data to the hosted Exchange account? Can you export to a .pst and send it to the hosting company?

2. How do you backup your Exchange database (in case something goofy happens during sync or if you want to go back to using desktop sync)?

1. Typically you would setup Outlook 2003 in Cached mode to connect directly to the server. From there, it's a simple matter of opening your PST file and copying / pasting folders over from the PST to the Exchange account "tree".

2. Simply reverse the process from Step 1! Copy over whatever you need from your Exchange Account "tree" to the PST "tree" below it. If you have issues, a really nice exchange admin could dump your exchange account to a PST file and send it to you, however these files can be quite large.

As I'm a nice admin, I setup my exchange server at work to create nightly backups of everyone's exchange accounts as PSTs which admins can then send to users who request them. We've only got &lt; 10 users, so that makes it an easy proposition to do "brick-level" backups. However this does prove that it can be done, so don't let some exchange admin tell you that there is no way to export from your exchange account to a PST at the server level! (Although with Exchange 2007, the process does change substantially)

Jason Lee
03-27-2007, 10:51 PM
you can also just use outlook to export your exchange data to a pst file.. then delete your outlook profile and set it up again not in exchange mode and copy or just import the PST file you made.

To get all your local data to the exchange server is very easy as well. Either copy your current PST to your desktop or use the export option in outlook. Setup your exchange server settings then simply import your PST data to the exchange server.

nosaturn
03-27-2007, 11:47 PM
i user passthrough to an exchnage server.. well i did, but now i don't have an available exchange server and i goosync my calendar to Google.

buss
03-28-2007, 12:14 AM
One of the purposes of my PPC is to keep my office computer and home computer in sync with each other in regards to contacts, schedules, tasks etc. This means I am syncing at least twice (once at home and once at the office). Like others have said, it is no big deal in that the effort simply means placing the unit in the cradle, needed for charging anyhow.

mcsouth
03-28-2007, 01:54 AM
I indicated rarely, since the unit that I use the most lately is my work-issued Cingular 8125. I will admit that this is my first PPC phone unit, and our company has it set up with Good Messaging services to connect to our corporate Exchange servers.

Since I got the unit a few months ago, I have connected it to two different computers as Guest only, simply to install applications or to copy files across. Otherwise, all of the "syncing" just happens automatically OTA, since I don't turn the phone off at all. I have been somewhat surprised to see emails hit my Inbox on the desktop and phone almost simultaneously, and likewise change status on both when I read or delete them. In my head, I know this makes sense, but it is still neat to see in action.

Not sure how the standard Exchange sync works, but my Outlook Notes do sync through Good Messaging, unlike what someone else mentioned. I will admit that I haven't had time to learn enough about how the Good Messaging works to feel comfortable about actually setting up desktop syncing in order to start syncing files routinely - that is something that I need to do.

I do still carry a personal PDA as well, my trusty iPaq 4155, which I do sync with my personal computer at home - I just don't want my personal info on our company servers - but based on my recent experience with this 8125, I have been seriously considering getting a Blackjack to replace my personal PDA - being connected like I am with my work unit is too addictive.

Perry Reed
03-28-2007, 02:04 AM
Ever since getting a hosted Exchange account, and moving from a non-phone PPC to a PPC-6700, I've gone from syncing multiple times a day to almost never. It's just unfortunate that I can't sync files and OneNote over the air.

minimage
03-28-2007, 04:26 AM
I do sync my eWallet file every few weeks or so. Of course, I could do that via an SD card just as easily as I do it through ActiveSync (if not easier). Which brings me to the startling realization that my once beloved (and hated) essential tool, Desktop ActiveSync, isn't needed anymore. If someone had told me this a few years ago, I wouldn't have believed them! But it does make sense - Server ActiveSync through Exchange does pretty much everything I need it to do (minus file sync, which would be very useful), and the hassle of breaking out the Tablet PC to sync isn't worth the benefits any longer.
Change eWallet to KeePass (and sometimes Tablet to UMPC), and you have me!

Eriq Cook
03-28-2007, 04:43 AM
I do weekly sync. My Notes and eWallet are the only files that keep me "tethered". Once Microsoft frees me from having to sync notes via ActiveSync, I'll probably do once a month if not longer.

I agree that not syncing notes was a goofy oversite. I use notes almost everyday to jot down notes quickly instead of trying to type them in (especially when I'm talking on the phone using the bluetooth headset). The notes aren't complicated like contacts or calendar items. Come'on MS lol

ctmagnus
03-28-2007, 06:10 AM
Daily - again, for Notes, and also for OneNote Mobile. And files. ListPro's a biggie for me.

silkshadow
03-28-2007, 12:53 PM
This article really got my attention because I want of be free of my desktop to sync. Here's what I have setup: I have a work Exchange farm I sync with and a personal exchange server on my home LAN (yeah, its overkill but I travel alot and am paranoid about the work/personal mix). I VPN into both locations to do remote syncing. The thing is, how do I also sync my SPB finance, ewallet, trenotes and phatnotes? I currently have a bunch of bat scripts that fire on my home LAN when my PPC's connects but its a PIA when there is a problem. I have to open a terminal and fix things. Please tell me someone has figured this out because I haven't found a solution and I really want one. Thanks!

jamisonw
03-30-2007, 08:11 PM
I heavily use Server ActiveSync, but there is ONE GLARING ISSUE! Palm and BlackBerry allow you to sync to public folders. Microsoft does not. Aargh. My company, and most of our SBS Server clients, use a shared contacts folder for all company related contacts so we don't have duplicates or need to individually maintain constantly changing information. I had to use Chapura PocketMirror Professional for Windows to sync my contacts so I could sync public contacts as well as my personal ones. Fortunately contacts don't have to be sync'd all that often. I think this is the largest oversite on Microsoft's part...

stsanford
03-31-2007, 02:40 AM
I voted for syncing daily. Reason being, I need to sync a couple of other programs (one my time and billing software) it doesn't do OTA sync.