View Full Version : Best PDA and how to connect to internet?

obsessionduo
03-17-2007, 02:10 AM
Hi Team. I currently own an IPAQ 3715 which is fabulous but now need to access the internet more especially in UK and Spain. Does anyone know if a PDA running 3G would offer faster and cheaper internet using the sim from either country than a model with only GPRS?

I have looked at HTC -TyTN with 3G and HP 6915 with GPRS only. I note also ETEN Glofish are bringing out a new all singing all dancing X800 model shortly...should I wait for this!?

Any advice really appreciated. I am not sure if accessing the internet this way is cheaper than using a PDA with a mobile phone as a modem as I currently do although the speed is not best!?

With thanks
Chris

JesterMania
03-17-2007, 02:23 PM
Hi Team. I currently own an IPAQ 3715 which is fabulous but now need to access the internet more especially in UK and Spain. Does anyone know if a PDA running 3G would offer faster and cheaper internet using the sim from either country than a model with only GPRS?

A Pocket PC Phone Edition running 3G will only offer a faster internet connection than GPRS if you are in an area and use a carrier that supports 3G (HSDPA) service. Otherwise it will default to GPRS/EDGE. As for cheaper, there is no price difference as far as I know between using a Phone Edition and a PPC + Cellphone if you're using the same SIM.

I have looked at HTC -TyTN with 3G and HP 6915 with GPRS only. I note also ETEN Glofish are bringing out a new all singing all dancing X800 model shortly...should I wait for this!?

If you want access to 3G services, get the TyTN or wait for the updated ETEN models, it's up to you. Personally, I'd go with a model that supports 3G.

Any advice really appreciated. I am not sure if accessing the internet this way is cheaper than using a PDA with a mobile phone as a modem as I currently do although the speed is not best!?

Providing that you're using the same SIM, in the same country, in the same area, I don't think there's going to be a speed difference between a Phone Edition and a tethered PDA+Phone solution. The only time there will be a difference would be if the carrier supports 3G and you use a 3G-enabled PPC Phone.

obsessionduo
03-18-2007, 12:04 AM
Many thanks for this advice. Much appreciated!