View Full Version : GPRS starts when trying to use my WIFI connection with my Internet Explorer

stoker
03-09-2007, 11:14 PM
Is there a trick to making sure that I don't have my HTC Tytn start going to my Gprs connection when launching Internet exploer ,instead of going directly to my WIfi? and thus costing me extra $ and aggravation? What I have been doing is going to settings, and launching Wifi , get connected to access point,, and in this process, the "G" or gprs kicks out leaving me a Wifi connection confirmed, and at that point,, I click on Explorer Icon,, and I would have thought that Explorer would seek out the Wifi connection automatically. But that seems to be a hit and miss proposition, and not sure if there might be a default somewhere that I can click in the connection area perhaps, or in IE that would default to WiFi being the connection to use. Occasionally I do get that Wifi connection automatically,, but I have to monitor it like crazy after launching IE to make sure that it isn't dialing in on the GPRS.. Any help on this topic would be appreciated.. I have seen mention of this topic somewhere on a forum somewhere, perhaps not on PPC thoughts.

stoker
03-09-2007, 11:43 PM
Found the answer to my own question.. In case any one else has this same problem,, here is the link http://wiki.xda-developers.com/index.php?pagename=Hermes_FAQs

Clarkster
03-10-2007, 11:26 PM
After a bit of fiddling when faced with the same problem, I found that turning off Direct Push in the communications manager, and reconfiguring my WLAN settings to connect to "The Internet" instead of "Work" (used to be other way round in wm2003se, right?), I got good success. WLAN signal seems to be very low until I move my hand well down the device - not as good reception as with my hx4700. I'm loving my TyTN though, very impressed.

Clarkster
03-10-2007, 11:31 PM
PS Are you using your BT GPS with the TyTN yet? Have been put off buying a 328 and TomTom Navigator, by horror stories of installing the software - getting off topic here, I know... :oops:

JesterMania
03-11-2007, 12:16 AM
Thanks for the updates on this thread. I was actually wondering about this issue the other day as well.

stoker
03-11-2007, 07:37 AM
Clarkster, I appear to have cleared up the problem that I had by adjusting settings as per the XDA link that I included.. so,, what did you do to shut off or curb this Push email setting?Where do I do that? and as per comment on GPS and horror stories,, I use my Globalsat 338 with my Tytn, , and I use Mapopolis,, and have absolutely no problems. What problems or horror stories did you hear about? Data usage instead of bluetooth connection? If you see some posts on this please let me know..I did try using my bluetooth connection with Google Maps,, and maybe thats where I did have some problem trying to make sure that is wasn't using gprs connection instead. That can really use up data! I wouldn't mind getting some connection tips on that?

Clarkster
03-12-2007, 09:11 AM
I get the Communication Manager up by pressing the button on the right hand edge, just down from the power on-off switch. I'm not sure if my TyTN has been specially configured by work, but I get seven icons then, of which the fourth (an envelope icon) toggles push email on-off. When that's turned on, push email seems to fire up GPRS automatically. When it's turned off, I can connect to Wifi (the third icon) and browse the web without GPRS persistently trying to override and connect.

GPS - well, I was trying to persuade myself to splash out on TomTom Navigator, and I read a couple of reviews (on this site I think) that said it was difficult software to install (through ActiveSync) to a storage card, and needed several reformats and installation via card reader, etc. Sounds like the kind of stress I can manage without, especially at that price. But I'm persistently tempted by that little Globalsat 328, that apparently works from within the glovebox.

Sorry - I don't know anything about the data usage vs bluetooth connection thing.

stoker
03-12-2007, 01:48 PM
I have had two (one was stolen)Globalsat 338's with my Mapopolis,, and both have been fantastic. Just need the right software. I am in Canada, but will be looking to buy good European maps, so am on the hunt for reliable,easy to install software//maps for my Tytn.