View Full Version : Freeing up storage memory

Reid
03-09-2007, 06:21 PM
I've got a 5450 - and I'm starting to run lean on Storage Memory. My question is, I'm not sure what I can or cannot either delete or move to a storage card.

At present, listed in the "Remove Programs" window are:

Microsoft Extended DST update
Adobe Reader for Pocket PC 2.0
Microsoft activation
HP h5400 WLAN Driver
Stowaway keyboard driver
Microsoft .NET 2.0

Any ideas?

psyjohn
03-09-2007, 07:19 PM
Hi,
I've always run Adobe Reader from the storage card without problem (I have an hp 4150). That's a pretty large program so it should free up a noticeable amount of space for you.

Reid
03-09-2007, 07:30 PM
Excellent! Now help the techno-challenged - Do I need to uninstall it and reinstall it on the storage card, or can I just move it over?

jmhope
03-09-2007, 11:41 PM
Reid,

Microsoft .NET 2.0 can be placed on memory card freeing up @ 5MB. Follow to Expert: Werner "Menneisyys" Ruotsalainen pages for this and everything you need to know about getting the most out of a PPC.

http://www.pocketpcmag.com/blogs/index.php?blog=3&m=20060426

Jornada 548, Ipaq 2215, Loox 720, Samsung i730

psyjohn
03-10-2007, 12:24 AM
I would uninstall and reinstall on the card. That just seems "cleaner" to me, but some of the more knowledgeable members of this site may have a different opinion. Also, don't forget to backup before installing any software just in case you run into problems.

WyattEarp
03-11-2007, 02:15 PM
Since your list is very short it would seem that you have other files (like media and documents) saved on the device. I know the 5450 has enough room and more for what you have listed so start by moving all your other files to an SD Card first. Then if you still need more space uninstall Adobe Reader and Microsoft .NET and reinstall both to the iPAQ File Store (if you haven't done so already) or an SD Card. That is the easiest way unless like me you like to just move things around manually and edit the registry.