View Full Version : What bugs you about Windows Mobile's interface and how do you get around it?

Joelacrane
03-08-2007, 05:46 AM
Here are the things about WM5 that bug me:

1. The close button doesn't close
2. No built in task switching
3. WiFi management horrible
4. I Can't adjust volume with buttons
5. I cant make specific programs stay open at all time, its too easy to inadvertently close them

For 1 and 2, I use vBar, but I still can't close or switch programs via buttons, only minimize. I have to get out my stylus to switch between calculator and Skype. vBar would be perfect if you could assign a button to pop open than menu, and change the softkeys to "switch to" and "close". Maybe I should present the idea to Vieka if i can contact them.

I cant fix the bad WiFi management, and I dont know how to adjust the volume with buttons. I would also like to be able to keep Skype open at almost all times since I use it alot.

So what are your problems with Windows Mobile's interface, and how do you overcome them?

isajoo
03-10-2007, 03:29 AM
wisbar is a great(perfect)tapp which will solve all closing/switching task/programs problems, plus it can also keep apps open at all times.plus has lots of custom skins like WM6 and vista lookalike. also iphone skin in the works.

for the wifi, it has not been a major problem for me, but if you would like to try this one out...google for hikchhiker, its a like better at setting up wifi access points....only thing is it will require latest pocketpc CF.net upgrade, google for it if the app does not load.

ohhh. last one, VITO buttonmapper is a great app that simply lets u assign any function to any hardware button. it works great with pocketplus which also has specially designed icon/program functions like brightness one click adjustment and power on/off/reset. it also has some features of wisbar(really close app), but is really more of a TODAY screen app. battery/memory info. today screen app icons.

use google to find all links.

pocketplus
wisbar
vito buttonmapper
hitchhiker

all are $$$ apps....not free ones. there are free ones, but either dont do the same job or have multifunctional features.

also a really great app which is great to monitor battery uptime and memory info is called BATMEMTIME 4.0. its simple and does the job.

Joelacrane
03-10-2007, 04:41 AM
I have hitchhiker, and I've used it for almost a year now. Its an awesome app (And free), but it does not run correctly on my Axim. Bummer too, it was my all time favorite program.

Any way to access the volume without whipping out the stylus?

Cybrid
03-10-2007, 10:48 PM
Any way to access the volume without whipping out the stylus?Not really, not without an app to give you control of the buttons specifically like Media Player and TCPMP. If you load on of those and have it hijack those buttons ....you lose all your other button maps during that time.
Depends on the design of the device, the Casio had a menu button and rocker switch that greatly aided one handed operation. The Dell X5xx series uses a switch to enable WiFi, I admit I enjoy that better than having to manually fiddle through several menus on the 2002 Dell X5.
The UTStarcom 6700 has a dedicated slider to volume sandwhich"ed between the IE and Voice recorder buttons. Figure out the logic on that. :lol:

Jacob
03-11-2007, 01:48 AM
I would love to change the two buttons at the bottom bar of WM5.

If anyone knows of way to modify those, I'd love to know how.

juni
03-11-2007, 07:29 AM
I use Wisbar for task switching/closing progams and for the look of it. Tweaks2k for all sorts of tweaks (including changing the assignment for the two bottom buttons on the today screen). :)

togusa00
04-22-2007, 08:00 AM
There are several things that I don't like about the win mobile interface.
- going inside and outside alot is a problem for me so being able to quickly change the screen brightness
- task switching
- battery line
- I have alot of different language fonts installed and need to edit the which soft keyboards (sips) are available in the menu
- links available on the today screen for docs and/or programs

I'm able to fix all this using spb plus. the sip menu however I use tweaks 2k2 which has a lot of cool little fixes for windows 2003.