View Full Version : HTC TyTN vs hx4700

Clarkster
03-06-2007, 01:13 PM
I've had a 4700 for eighteen months, and am very happy with it - it's a touch big, but it's great. Now I've been issued a TyTN at work, and am in the happy situation of having two WM devices running at the same time!
I've always thought you reviewer dudes with multiple PPCs are slightly over the top 8O - but hope you can help me here as I join the ranks!

I'm brand new to WM5, and that's partly behind my question to all of you...what should I install on the TyTN (slower, smaller ram?) and what should I keep the hx4700 for?

Here's a list of the software I'd like to keep using...

Wisbar advance
Total commander
Agenda Fusion
Pocket Breeze
Pocket Earth
Opera
Textmaker
Planmaker
Bejeweled
Pocket Bible (with lots of books)
Mobipocket reader (with several ebooks)
Core media player (with a few albums)
Phatpad
Pocket mindmap
MSDict french dictionary
Repligo
Resco audio recorder
RoadLingua norwegian dictionary
HP Image zone picture viewer

:!:

I presently have most of that on the hx4700. If I put it all on the TyTN, will it fall over? How about if I install as much as poss to the microSD card on it?
I know that there are differences in processor use between WM5 and WM2003, which may make the TyTN able to compete...?

What do you think? PIMs on the TyTN, everything else on the extra screen estate of the (vga) hx4700? :?:

Grateful for advice and thoughts, as ever.
Ben

Mark Kenepp
03-06-2007, 11:24 PM
I actually am in a similar situation myself. I have a Loox n560 which I have been using for about 7 months and I just upgraded my phone from a T-Mobile SDA to a TyTN.

What do you think? PIMs on the TyTN, everything else on the extra screen estate of the (vga) hx4700?

So far, I have transferred over my PIM apps (Pocket Informant, Spb Diary and Pocket Plus) but have left most of the other apps on my n560. I figured I would put on my TyTN any apps that I use and need with me all the time. The rest I am leaving on my n560.

Admittedly, I am still working out what those apps are and I am still carrying both devices with me where ever I go. When I find that I am accessing my n560 less than once a day, then I guess I can say that I have the balance worked out.

As far as overloading the TyTN, I don't think that the storage considerations would be what is limiting the TyTN. I have noticed that there are some issues with the TyTN running the same Today plugins that I have loaded on my n560.

When the Spb Mobile Shell (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/articles.php?action=expand,53731) was announced here, I gave it a try. With it installed, I really noticed a proformance hit.

JesterMania
03-07-2007, 03:19 AM
I'm brand new to WM5, and that's partly behind my question to all of you...what should I install on the TyTN (slower, smaller ram?) and what should I keep the hx4700 for?

Everything you have in that list will work with your TyTN (except HP Image zone picture viewer as that is HP-specific) so go ahead and install everything on it, and no your TyTN won't "fall over" :lol: . It's more than capable of handling anything on your list.

You can install to MicroSD. Some people prefer installing to ROM (myself) while others like to keep their programs separate. It doesn't make a difference, unless you start getting < 1MB of ROM free, in which case your system will start complaining about low memory and locking up. Installing to storage card should give you more speed however.

I would keep your hx4700 for eBook reading (RepliGO) and document editing (TextMaker and PlanMaker). That large VGA screen is perfect for those and with dual memory slots - video (Core Media Player). Also, if you ever decide to get a GPS receiver, the hx4700 will make a nice large GPS display.

Clarkster
03-07-2007, 09:18 AM
Thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated.
I'll start loading up the TyTN with software in priority order I think, and will stop if I notice it's getting slower.
Textmaker is a tricky one, because I think I'll use it more now I've got a keyboard (on the TyTN).

Good call about the GPS n the iPAQ too - that's something I've been thinking about for a while.

I'll post back with some results - but thanks again.